Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

What is this !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Default What is this !!!!!

I've owned my 87 Vette conv't now for 13 years and there is an item in the car that has always fascinated me and no one has yet been able to tell me what it is, or what it is supposed to do. On the rear lid of the car, which closes over the "trunk", there is a small louvered opening, in the middle of the lid and on the lip of the lid which looks like it has a photo-electric cell behind it. The opening is about 1 1/4" square. Can anyone tell me what it does, and is there any maintenance that should be done to it, or for it. Another thing to learn about on my baby.

mypetu39

Old 08-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Default RE: What is this !!!!!

ORIGINAL: mypetu39

I've owned my 87 Vette conv't now for 13 years and there is an item in the car that has always fascinated me and no one has yet been able to tell me what it is, or what it is supposed to do. On the rear lid of the car, which closes over the "trunk", there is a small louvered opening, in the middle of the lid and on the lip of the lid which looks like it has a photo-electric cell behind it. The opening is about 1 1/4" square. Can anyone tell me what it does, and is there any maintenance that should be done to it, or for it. Another thing to learn about on my baby.

mypetu39
Hey, now that you mention it!!... I'm curious too! Also, if I may, there appears to be some form of a sensor on the dash board, just above the speedo area, that I cannot figure out for the life of me what it does... any clues?

Old 08-16-2006, 09:21 PM

The sensor that topspeed is talking about is right above the speedo...it senses light and dims the dashboard accordingly. Drive into a parking garage in the middle of the day and you may see the dashboard dim. As far as the sensor on the convertable, i have no idea.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: raisinbran

The sensor that topspeed is talking about is right above the speedo...it senses light and dims the dashboard accordingly. Drive into a parking garage in the middle of the day and you may see the dashboard dim.
LOL *whacks head on desk.. repeatedly* Ya know somethin'?? Hoh, boy, idiot post alert in advance here, just a warnin'....

The other night while going through a tunnel, I *swear* I noticed the dash dim a bit, and chalked it up to either a) my imagination, or b) a pending disaster with our digital dash.

As a member of the Ostrich family, I find that keeping my head ABOVE the ground line seems to be much more effective if you want to stay on the ball. Public Service Announcement.

I'm gonna go and hide now.....

Old 08-16-2006, 09:55 PM

Actually I don't know, and am curious.

But until you know, next time you have a passenger get into your the car, point to it as you put on your seat belt, and tell them it is the "DQS" unit - Driver Quality Sensor unit, something installed by GM to assure that the image of the Corvette is not ruined by idiots who would be seen driving it: explain that when someone slips into the driver's seat, it scans their brain using "fluoro-scope technology", and unless they are highly intelligent, have very good taste, and incredibly sound judgement, it disables the starter.

Then start the car . . .

Old 08-16-2006, 10:08 PM

Hahaha, thats a good one Mr. Willis. But, i would be putting my foot in my mouth because sometimes my car doesnt like to start up right away LOL!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

But until you know, next time you have a passenger get into your the car, point to it as you put on your seat belt, and tell them it is the "DQS" unit - Driver Quality Sensor unit, something installed by GM to assure that the image of the Corvette is not ruined by idiots who would be seen driving it: explain that when someone slips into the driver's seat, it scans their brain using "fluoro-scope technology", and unless they are highly intelligent, have very good taste, and incredibly sound judgement, it disables the starter.

Then start the car . . .
Now i need to find out where that is in the coupe. It always runs funny with passengers.[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 08-17-2006, 08:58 AM

OK, you guys(nobody laughed harder than I did !! )....Now that we have had some fun, I have to turn to our chief resident tech, Mech259, to ask for the solution to these two so-called "sensors". What say you, Mech259?

mypetu39

Old 08-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

Then start the car . . .
"Now that's funny, right there, I don't care what anybody says" ( Quote from "Larry The Cable Guy" )
You have an absolutely fab sence of humor, right in line with what drives me to the ground. That is the best I've heard in a long time. "Bowtie Lounge" quality!!! [sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 08-17-2006, 02:57 PM

*thumps on desk* Lordy, Lordy!! Them thar is COMEDY GOLD in those hills!!! Bwahahahaha!!!