Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

What the best year for the C4??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Default RE: What the best year for the C4??

I had a 90 when I first got my license **two years ago** it was dirt cheap because it was a family friend and a BIG fixer upper. The only difference is the dash. Its curved and theres alot more leather in there than my 86. Kind of old lookn inside. Everything was orange. And it did not have a Bose system and it had the tape player.....Its not that its bad its just apparently not many people have them. I liked it fine but it got totaled 8 months after due to a man running a red light so I would still have it today but not anymore. Basically its what you can afford and/or preference. Id take my 86 over the 90. Its just different in a way. I like the body style and the mods I have done to it so far so.....w/e vette it is its a
V-E-T-T-E!!! Thats all that needs to be said. All the ricers and wanna be dominators are gunna see are after our tires smoke passes thru our four taillights going down the road. Nothing compares to a vette.[sm=crossbonesgif.gif]

Old 11-24-2006, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

86 vette. Pop some shiny rims a system and a exaust and the chicks come flying lol. No seriously dude any vette is good as long as its taken care of. Check all major componets. The best thing you can do to prevent a lemon is a CARFAX!!! Do NOT buy a car that has been wrecked. I dont care what anyone says, once its been wrecked its never the same. Make sure all electronics work and have a mechanic YOU trust check it out before you buy it. If the seller says no then dont buy it because chances are its a lemon and they dont want you to know it. Good luck.
Great, great post. I wholeheartedly concur.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:18 PM

Of course, the 'vettes that each and everyone of us have are the car(s) we prefer. The 'vette experience is not only about horsepower, but much more. It is aesthetics, history, handling, mechanic-friendly (which is defined by each persons ability to work on a vehicle), availability of parts, horsepower / torque and pride of ownership. The Corvette is one of (if not the oldest) oldest continuous production sports cars of all time - in any country.

I have a '92 convertible and I love it. It would be nice to have an LT-4, but with a few mods, the LT-1 can perform just as well. The L98 was a great engine, but the LT-1 torque curve is amazingly flat. 90% of all the torque (made) is available from just over idle to redline. The engine "feels" more powerful than it is. For me, it is not just about the raw power of the vehicle, but the way it feels and handles. People still look at nice 'vettes and stare or say "nice Corvette"!

CG

Old 12-25-2006, 02:52 AM

I HAVE A 92 WITH 108,000 ON IT BUT IT RUNS AND DRIVES LIKE NEW. I LOVE IT! IT S A VERY GOOD CAR BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR SO JUST KEEP THAT IN MIND....AND HAPPY HUNTING...

Old 12-25-2006, 04:17 PM

Any vehicle you buy that is over 10 years old will need work to keep it on the road. If the previous owner drove the car, and did not fix anything, you might get a great deal if you have the ability to do the repairs yourself. If you can not do the repairs your self, the going hourly rate is $50-135 and hour. Repair bills add up really quick if your paying someone to to fix it.

I do all the repairs my self, but since I do not have an alignment rack or an engine analyzer I must have work done at the shop as well. A tranny rebuild on a 1984-1988 manual transmission run about $2500-4000 (installed). New parts are hard to find when your in a hurry, but usually I seem to find everything I need on the internet.

Bottom line with vette ownership is they are expensive drive. A new vette costs about $1200+ a month to drive (payment, interest,depreciation, general maintenance,tire replacement every 10,000 mile, cracked windshields, and the minor road scratches that need repaired)over a 6 year period.

From my experience a C4 will cost you about $1 a mile (in general repairs) once it is in good shape. It may take $10,000 to get a $4,000 vettein good shape.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:03 PM

I have a 95, nice car

Old 04-16-2007, 11:40 PM

Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 PM

85 vette is the best. It is the cheapest, and easily modified, and has only one catilytic converter(more performance).
There is a ton of aftermarket for this model. 84-90 vettes look the best on the exterior and on the interior 84-89 vettes look the best. Old digital dash looks better than the half and half of the 90-96, and the 90-96 has way to many buttons on the dash. The interiors on the 84-85 are nicer because most of them have different colors in them like black/gray or blue/light blue or bronze/tan, instead of the generic plane gray or plain black or plane red.

I maybe biased I own an 84 and an 85.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:46 AM

I couldn't pass this by without postin' my $.02 worth. Obviously I think the C4 Rules! Within the C4's I liked the round tail lights of the 84-90, but like the dask from 90 - up. It is a little bit of a tight fit inside (I'm not a munchkin sized person @ 6' 250 lbs) but is a real motivator to slim down a bit!!

Mine is a L-98 & 6-speed. The L-98 is rated at 245 hp and 345 ft lbs m/l....with a few mods ( 54 mm TB, 24 lb injectors, new exhaust from exhaust manifolds back, performance chip, K&N air filter) and the 3.30:1 rear end she gets right with it.

With stock suspension/tires I have a real traction problem! It comes on like Jack the Bear and pulls strong to redline...(there is always a big grin right about now!!)

As most everyone has said, the best year for a C4 is the one you have & are happy with! (but black is beautiful)

[IMG]local://upfiles/4063/B9429398180040608068EEC87FAC334D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM

I just got done with a 400 miles round trip in my 90' and I must say that it is still one hell ofa machine. It got 26 mpg round trip, the air blew cold the whole time and had the opportunity to dust a few lesser machines in the process! It does require some TLC from time to time and sometimes can be very frustrating to diagnose, but I love my car and would recommend any C4 to anyone who is looking for a cheap and fun way into America's Sports Car. Do choose wisely and do a Carfax as I did when I bought my car. My car was a one owner with every single service ever done to in the glove box. All for $7200. I done some work on it since, Exhaust, shocks, tune up, new seat covers. I have done all the work myself for about a $1000 dollars so far and have loved every minute of it!!!.

Quick Reply: What the best year for the C4??