Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

what to do

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Default what to do

I WANT TO DO SOMETHING WITH THE MOTOR BUT, I STILL WANT THE FI. I HAVE A 383 BLOCK ALL SET IN THE GARAGE JUST LOOKING AT ME EVERY TIME I WALK BY IT. COULD I PUT THAT IN AND HAVE A CHIP MADE FOR THE FI? OR WOULD IT BE BETTER TO HAVE A MATCHED TOP END KIT PUT ON THE 5.7 AND HAVE A CHIP MADE?WHO MAKES CHIPS FOR THAT NOW? I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE TO PUT ON DIFFERENT INJECTORS FOR THE AMOUNT OF FUEL, NOT SURE. I JUST DON'T WANT TO MAKE A COSTLY MISTAKE. I'M NOT LOOKING FULL OUT RACING, I JUST WANT MORE JUICE. I JUST HAD A 80'S MUSTANG BLOW BY ME.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Default RE: what to do

You've pretty much left the door wide open. First of all I am 'way more hotrodder than vette guy so my opinions will lean that way.
If the 383 is built to take it,put your injection stuff on it and add maybe 150hp nitrous shot. There are people who can do the chip. Then the '80's mustangs that blow by will be 600 inch blown and SOMETHING will be sticking thru the hood!
You've invested quite a bit of time and money already,so set up a budget,get a pile of catalogs,spend some time in 'vette forums and then decide. Do you want a grocery getter,drive-to-work,all-around easy-to-drive fun machine? Do you want a 750 hp tire roasting weekend ride? After you've decided that,come back and we can be a little more specific.
If I had the dinero I would look VERY hard at an LS-7 motor,out of the box it would do what a really built 383 would do and do it much lighter. I seriously doubt if you can buy the motor out of the new ZR1,now THAT is a motor!
Close some doors set some goals and come back!
Ron

Old 11-05-2008, 12:11 AM
cwb

Sell the 383.

There's ALWAYS someone faster. But there's nothin' better than a well tuned ANYTHING. One you can drive anywhere, without sweatin' about a breakdown. Lots of help available with L98 too.

Get the shop manual. You can't go wrong...

Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 PM

THANKS FOR THE OPINION GUYS. I'M GOING WITH A GEAR CHANGE AND THE 383.I THINK FAST PRODUCTS WILL MAKE THE CHIP. I GUESS I'LL FIND OUT ABOUT THE FI AS I GO.