Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Wheel Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Default Wheel Detailing

Spring has to be around the corner somewhere. I'm looking for some advise on how to bring out the shine on my stock wheels. I have a 90 Roadster which is looking sweet. I've cleaned the wheels with a spray on brake dust cleaner. Now the wheels seem to have a slight fog on them. Any thoughts on what I can do to get them mint like the rest of the car? Thanks

Old 01-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Default RE: Wheel Detailing

first get yourself some simple green and do each rim individually. scrub then spray, scrub then spray, dont let it dry on there, thats where the film comes from. after you simple green all the wheels, you can use anything that has an oil base, from tire wet, to armor all, and it sounds kinda stupid because tire wet is for the rubber, but with the oily substance, AS LONG AS you apply it even all over the whole rim, it looks pretty good. i barely ever do this to my rims now because the clear coat or whatever it is is like half deteriorated on all the rims and im just waitin for the money to buy black z06 rally sports. but the few times ive done it on this car and when ive done it to other cars, it looks really good. hope that helps

Old 01-30-2006, 12:02 PM

I NEVER recommend Simple Green on wheels or paint. If you spray some of this stuff on bare aluminum you will see why. Get yourself a good and safe wheel cleaner and a good safe wheel cleaning brush. Once you have the wheels and tires cleaned I would seal them with a good wheel sealant. Use a couple coats of the sealant and cleaning your wheels will be easier next time.
http://www.danase.com/dehoar.html Click that link for my How-to Articles including Wheel and Tire Care.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:06 PM

thats funny... simple green has never done anything bade to my wheels. it makes them looks better than they did when i got them

Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 PM

i wouldnt use simple green either, this is what i use and it work really really good.

For the tire i use Forever Black Tire Gel ( www.foreverblack.com )

The metal i use a polish Dri Wash'n Guard Premium metal polish ( www.dri-wash.us )

If you buy it let me know how it works out for you, im telling you you will me amazed by what your tires will look like when you are done.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:33 AM

Just an update. I brought my wheels to a reconditing place here in Massachusetts. They said the clear coat was gone in some places so polishing and cleaning wasn't going to get me anywhere. I sent the wheels out and I should have them bacxk this week. Cleaning polishing and re-clear coating is like $155 a wheel. For some reason I didn't want them chromed over. I'll post how they came out when they come in. Also they said something about a good wax to use after as well.