Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

whining noise coming from transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 PM
cwb
Default RE: whining noise coming from transmission

ORIGINAL: 85vette80821

Yes, i got the pic. Isn't there two different oils for the transmission and the overdrive unit? I think its ATF for the overdrive and SAE80 gear oil for the tranny. If i were to get this diagnosed and repaired at a shop, around how much would you estimate it to be. I live in Maui too so im betting it'll be quit a bit.
I don't think it would cost much at all. But you should do the tranny fluid check yourself first. I don't believe it's an O/D gig.

I do suggest however, that you not do anything, till you find out exactly what's wrong. ESPECIALLY if it's only in one gear. I do NOT believe a fluid problem will affect ONE gear only.

O/D is ATF fluid, 4 speed is 90 weight, and the 6 speed is 5W-30 weight.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:43 AM

That's just the hardest thing to do cuz this is the only car that I have to get around in. I know this may be a stupid question but since I know it does this only in second gear, would it be possible to just not engage in second? When upshifting go from first to third and wen down shifting just coast to a stop after downshifting to third? I know its a long shot, but I guess I just have to accept it and start asking for rides. Thanks a whole bunch though. You've been a big help.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:04 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: 85vette80821

would it be possible to just not engage in second? When upshifting go from first to third and wen down shifting just coast to a stop after downshifting to third?
Depends on if you got close-ratio or wide-ratio gears in the tranny. Close ratio has a lot of overlap gearing, and you could skip 2; wide-ratio don't. To answer your question?What do you got?

Old 10-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Note sure what kind I have. Where would I find this out at? Is there an indication of which one it is on the tranny or any other label?

Old 10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 PM

I belive so. It is the 4+3 transmission with overdrive.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

My first hunch is the syncros for 2nd. How's she shift? Does the "Whine" tend to increase as ya slip 'er into gear, does she shift kinda hard goin' into 2nd?
Yes, you can skip 2nd in your shifts, just don't expect to "get on it" with possitive results. Skip the down shifts, and use your brakes. Take your time and pick up your speed slowly. Remember, your baby is sick, so treat her gentle.

Rshiver makes a good point, bearings could be goin' out. [&o]

Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

Awwwwwww the teacher's here everbody shhhhhh

Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Just visiting class today.
Carry on.....[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-19-2007, 01:21 AM

From what i've noticed the whine increases with the rpm's as it reaches above the 1300 mark but it is ever so slightly compared to when I let off the accelerator in second from about 1800-2000 then you can really hear it. As for when shifting into second, I haven't noticed any increase in effort to put it into second and there is no whine while shifting into any gear, just when your in second and you let off on the accelerater. If I REALLY baby her, should I be ok until I can get her to the doctors? That's what im afraid of is making things worse. I mean, I probably won't have the money to fix her for another month or so, and if I limit her use, say bout 3 or 4 times a week say to just get from home to work and back, and yet I still baby her, slow acclerations, braking to a stop, avoiding second gear, should I be in the safe?

Quick Reply: whining noise coming from transmission