Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

02 z06 rims? 335 30 18

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Default 02 z06 rims? 335 30 18

Hey Guys,
Im new to the forum's.I Just picked up a 02 z06 I bought some 335 30 18 tires and wondering waht size rims would I have to get for them. Stock I believe they are 9.5" wide, the car has 275 40's on it now and when I tried to run with my buddies cobra im spining 1st-4th. so picked up the same size tire he has but they are way too wide. Also would I have to use spacers?
Next thing anybody ever experience the "service active handling" on their car and have it pull you twards the left when your driving? That's a crash waiting to happen.

Mods, VaraRam CAI, BBK SSI intake, Corsa exhaust, bassani X pipe tune for mods. 362RWHP on mustang dyno and dyno dynamics dyno.

The last thing I have a question on is when I and reving or driving the car and the rpms are up higher then I let off the gas I get a pop pop pop, why is this? It drives me crazy.

Thanks in Advance for the help guys!

Chad

Old 12-26-2010, 08:02 PM

From what I've read, you can go 335/18s in the rear with 11.5" CCW wheels. Some guys have gone 12". If you are using the stock brakes, you should be okay but larger rotors would require spacers. Also, a standard C5 alignment (not Z06) may be required to avoid rubbing.

Service active handling: Pull any codes from the D.I.C. and report back.

If you hear popping it may mean that you have an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. Louder (freer-flowing) exhaust systems will amplify this popping noise when shifting or deccelerating. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it. I hear the same thing with my Borla exhaust.

Dave

Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the Help Dave,
What do you mean by CCW wheels? I want to stay stock with the rotors also.
Also D.I.C ?
I'm a driver of the corvette, Don't know much about the tech stuff. lol I just love the car and it's power.

Is their any way to get rid of the poping? it drives me nuts, I have a link of my vette, you can hear what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ExwoXyW340

Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 AM

My guess is that CCW wheels have the correct offset so that tires that wide won't contact any suspension parts. It is also essential that you have enough width. Remember that the wider the wheels, the heavier they are likely to be. This is why many Corvette guys buy forged wheels, which are lighter than cast ones of the same size. Once you find the wheels you like, ask the manufacturer if the wheel offset will allow the wheel to fit on your car without rubbing issues.

The D.I.C. is the digital information center (digital display). You can pull codes using this procedure:

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...des-ex-12.html

One way to reduce significantly or possibly get rid of the popping noise is to use the OEM titanium cat-back exhaust. This exhaust is more restrictive than most aftermarket cat-back systems, however.

Dave

Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM

Any body have any dyno runs after installing obx long tube headers? What do you honestly think about them? Are they worth 800 or not?

Dave thanks for your help man, i have not checked it yet with the link you posted for me, i plan to do that today and see if i get any codes to come up.
Again thanks for your help,

Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM

I had an '02 ZO6 and the widest tires I could fit without rubbing in corners in the stock wheel wells were 315s. Lingenfelter sells a mini-tubbing kit with revised shock bolts that will allow you to run up to 345s. I bought that and a set of 12" wide Fiske's from Lingenfelter and was very happy with it all. I ran Michelin 345s on the rear when I had the stock engine and a Magnusen blower and about 500 RWHP and they helped traction alot. Later, with a C5R 427 and larger blower they were hopeless, so I went to BFG 345 drag radials at the rear and they could handle up to about 700 RWHP well but had problems above that. Only get about 4000 miles to a set though, and they can't do rain at all -- they will hydro-plane on a wet street (seriously).

Long tube headers, alone, gave me an 18 RWHP improvement without a tune and 22 with,. However, I consider them one of the best mods I made on my ZO6. The added power could be felt, but they transformed the feel of the car, providing a lot more mid range torque and quicker throttle response: the car just had a much meaner attitude with them. I loved it.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 PM

Lee,
Thanks for the info! Im not pushing that kind of power, wish I were I am going to look in the the mini tubbing kit, Do you have a web site for that? also the headers you were runing were they the OBX brand? if so 18RWHP is not bad for 800bucks, I would love to go with american made but 1800 for headers and the same hp thats a no brainer! I just purchased a Ported TB for my car so that they say adds 10 hp but we will see this summer when I put it back on the dyno. After headers and TB, other mods are bbk intake vararam cai bassani x pipe and corsa exhaust. right now I put down 362RWHP I want to be in the 400 range so maybe a cam and pulleys next year? The 315's you used what was the other numbers? and those you had on your stock rims?
Thanks again for your info!

Chad