Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

100k miles on a vette is it worth the price

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Default 100k miles on a vette is it worth the price

Well i was lookin for a vette ive found some cheap ones which are in my price range 14k-18k but they have like 80k-130k miles on them. are these cares reliable at this point i read some people say that they are good even pass 200k miles but only if they are taken care of properly. im only 18[8D] and this is about to be my second car so i want something that will last me a good 2yrs+. i like vettes it was my first choice in a car. i just need to know if a vette with that many miles on it is reliable. oh yea i just found one at a dealership for 14.8k with 86kmiles on it what do you think about it?

Old 09-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Default RE: 100k miles on a vette is it worth the price

WELL KILLA IT'S GOING TO BE HARD WITH THAT KIND OF MILAGE. YOU REALLY DONT NO IF THE OIL WAS CHANGED EVERY 5000 MILES,THEY COULD SAY YES BUT YOU WILL BE TAKING THERE WORD,..CHECK THE OIL PRESSURE SEE IF IT IS GOOD,LISTEN FOR KNOCKS IN THE ENGINE.I WOULD HAVE A COMPRESSION TEST DONE IN FRONT OF YOU SO YOU CAN SEE THE READINGS SHOULD BE LIKE 150 TO 160 LBS 15 TO 20 LBS OVER READING THER IS A PROBLEM . IF ALL CHECKS OUT GOOD THEN YOU ARE IN.THE CAR ITS SELF SHOULD BE GREAT WITH THAT KIND OF MILAGE , JUST GIVE THE ENGINE A GOOD LOOK OVER AND MAKE SHURE THE TRANNY SHIFTS GOOD IN ALL GEARS AND THE CLUTCH DONT SLIP..MAKE SHURE YOU HAVE NO LEAKS IN SIDE CAR EITHER. GOOD LUCK. ON YOUR FIND.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:46 PM

thanks for the info. i knew nothing even about the compression and stuff like that. lol maybe i should do a little homework before i decide to buy one. thanks alot

does anybody else have any info. that i should know it would be really helpful. thanx

Old 09-04-2006, 04:49 PM

Killa
search and search till you feel comfortable on your purchse, and don't just take some salesmen's word for it, look it over real good yourself, or get someone knowledgeable enough to spot any problems.

I would definately buy from a dealership, and make sure they will stand behind it, GET a protection coverage on it.
Like CK was saying, you could be getting someone else's problem, which could turn out to be a nightmare for you. especially with it being a Vette, "WE" owners tend to drive these cars a little on the rough side, Not saying the cars can't take it, but "WE" do have to take care of them, and unfortunately you really won't know how well the one you buy was taken care of.

Maybe you could wait just a little longer, save some more money, and get one a little newer, with less mileage, Heck your only 18, and you should have seen what I was driving at 18....
I didn't get my first vette till, Lets see.............about a month ago. I'm 43!

man i think it's great that your able to afford a Vette at your age! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Old 09-04-2006, 04:59 PM

gorichb

man you dont even know how many hamburgers i have had to flip to save up the little 10k i have. lol lmao i work at the local sonic. lol i work hard and do good in school this is like a reward for myself and also my parents they gana help me out a little. and yea i be seeing yall driving the heck out of these cars doing burn outs down my street i love it,my neighbor has one a C6 though.

yea but when i go look at some vettes im gana try to take my cousin hes a mechanic he should help me out. im hoping to find something though i really want one bad. i might have to change my mind to a GTO or a camaro SS if i dont find a good vette.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:38 PM

REMEMBER A GOOD VETTE ANT CHEEP AND A CHEEP VETTE ANT GOOD ..LOL JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND YOU WILL FIND ONE JUST LIKE GORICH SAID....DONT SETTELE.. I HAVE SETTELE FOR CARS AND DROVE THEM FOR A WEEK AND WISH I NEVER BOUGHT IT.. SO IM SAYING JUST DONT SETTELE FOR ANY CORVETTE LOOK AROUND FOR A WHILE.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:51 PM

Good advice you guys thanx for everything. i am certain that i will just wait till the end of the year save up a little more money and get me a nice one.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:53 PM

YOU ARE VERY WELCOME THAT IS WHAT EVERY BODY IS HERE FOR

Old 09-04-2006, 06:28 PM

Your going to love it when you get it.

Just a matter of when![sm=gears.gif]

Old 09-04-2006, 06:32 PM

well for what its worth i've got a 97 with just over 110,000 miles on it
and its been a very soild car. but it has been serviced regular.
just minor things. good hunting, for the money best value on the road.

Quick Reply: 100k miles on a vette is it worth the price