Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Active Handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Default Active Handling

Any ideas why the active handling is kicking in and out?
Every 40 seconds or so the active handling kicks in and out i have to turn the traction control off
i know there has to be something wrong any ideas?
Has anyone had this problem if so what was done to correct problem...

Old 08-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Default RE: Active Handling

Update on active hadling ?
So i left my 01 vette at the GM dealer for 5 days,,and after about 200 miles put on it and about 3/4 tank of gas,,Mr Goodwrench told me that my tires on my vette,,needed to be replaced!!!
They told me this after they took new wheels and tires of a 05 vette,and put them on my car,,and to their surprise,,after about 200 miles put on it,,it just magically stopped!!!
The tires are still,,i thought were in excellent condition,,lots of tread left on them!!
But gonna have new ones put on next week,,and we'll see!!!
I was told that my tires were out of round just a little bit,,bad cords or something,,thats what is causing the active handling to kick I/O
I will post back when i get new tires on!!!

Old 08-19-2006, 12:54 AM

Please get back to us and tell us if this really fixes it. I hope replacing the tires does the trick but remain a bit skeptical.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:01 PM

Finally i got new cooper xeon zr rated tires on my 01' vette.
The tires are ecactly the same size and width that the previous ones were. Same size as the factory tires.
Sad to say,new tires did not fix my service active handling soon problem!!
I didn't figure it would.
I'm out around 700.00 for tires that i didnt really need.
I'm out of answers,,Mr. goodwrench wants me to bring back my car so he can spend
many more countless days driving it up and down the road,,and putting more miles on it!!
This was me and my wifes first vette, right now at this point in time,i'm thinking about
selling it,and will probablly not buy another one,,,thats sad too!
Any help on this matter on what anyone thinks it might be please let me know,
this car is a stock o1 LS1,no mods done to it at all.
It had 46,700 on it 3 months ago,now it has 49,300!!
Thanks--Brad S

Old 09-11-2006, 09:44 PM

Ask around and find a good loval shoip that works on these things, preferably with guys that modify them. They usually have access to a real electornics guru. Thuse guys can usually sort it out in a couple of hours.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 AM

ORIGINAL: skinnerchief

Finally i got new cooper xeon zr rated tires on my 01' vette.
The tires are ecactly the same size and width that the previous ones were. Same size as the factory tires.
Sad to say,new tires did not fix my service active handling soon problem!!
I didn't figure it would.
I'm out around 700.00 for tires that i didnt really need.
I'm out of answers,,Mr. goodwrench wants me to bring back my car so he can spend
many more countless days driving it up and down the road,,and putting more miles on it!!
This was me and my wifes first vette, right now at this point in time,i'm thinking about
selling it,and will probablly not buy another one,,,thats sad too!
Any help on this matter on what anyone thinks it might be please let me know,
this car is a stock o1 LS1,no mods done to it at all.
It had 46,700 on it 3 months ago,now it has 49,300!!
Thanks--Brad S
Brad,

In my experience, tires have NOTHING to do with it. It is most likely a sensor going bad, your negative cable not being fully tight and/or your brakes.

On my 02 and 03 Z06's I had the light kick on and off for days or for at least 5-10 stops (meaning going somewhere, shutting down the engine for a few minutes, doing whatever, coming back and starting the car and driving it again). It would happen ALMOST every time I would lift the car up. I don't know why, but for some reason this would trigger the sensors after you started to drive. Then after a few days or few stops it would simply quit. Also, if you have disconnected the battery (negative terminal) this will also trigger the sensorts to activate on and off a few times...don't ask me why but several Z06 owners have experimented this...

I would talk to the manager of the shop...making you buy tires that they specifically said would fix the problem and for the problem to come back is not acceptable - they should buy those tires from you and install your other ones.

Sorry you are having such a problem...yuck.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 AM

I agree with Tailwag: raise hell. Do it politely (you get better results, even though it is more fun to rip 'em a new one): so be firm, consistent in what you want, and persistent above all. I am not certain if you will win, but you will make a difference. Dealership service dpeartments are notoriously poor at diagnosis because they have little incentive to be good at this: most repairs they do are under warranty, so just they start replacing stuff at factory expense until they fix the car. Give them an incentive to get better by becoming a world class pain in the butt until they respond.

As to the "consistent in what you want" part, make certain that you know what you really want before you start. What will constitute victory here? Get the money for you tires back? --> you still have the active handling problem right? And you do have new tires now: the money wasn't thrown down a rat hole completely.
::::I suggest an opening salvo that points out you spent a bunch of money on the new tires, and the problem is still there, and you are really pissed byt trying hard to be reasonable. Then, maybe this is the solution: "You will put your best technicians on it. I will pay no labor charge (you told me what was wrong once before, I paid for that, and you are wrong, so I have paid all I should for diagnosis: just get it right this time. I will pay for parts IF and when they fix the problem, but no more labor." Also negotiate a nice, equivalent loaner car while yours is in the shop: it may take them a while.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

I agree with Tailwag: raise hell. Do it politely (you get better results, even though it is more fun to rip 'em a new one): so be firm, consistent in what you want, and persistent above all. I am not certain if you will win, but you will make a difference. Dealership service dpeartments are notoriously poor at diagnosis because they have little incentive to be good at this: most repairs they do are under warranty, so just they start replacing stuff at factory expense until they fix the car. Give them an incentive to get better by becoming a world class pain in the butt until they respond.

As to the "consistent in what you want" part, make certain that you know what you really want before you start. What will constitute victory here? Get the money for you tires back? --> you still have the active handling problem right? And you do have new tires now: the money wasn't thrown down a rat hole completely.
::::I suggest an opening salvo that points out you spent a bunch of money on the new tires, and the problem is still there, and you are really pissed byt trying hard to be reasonable. Then, maybe this is the solution: "You will put your best technicians on it. I will pay no labor charge (you told me what was wrong once before, I paid for that, and you are wrong, so I have paid all I should for diagnosis: just get it right this time. I will pay for parts IF and when they fix the problem, but no more labor." Also negotiate a nice, equivalent loaner car while yours is in the shop: it may take them a while.
Wow Lee, you're good at this kinda thing! Can I bring you with me if I ever have to go to the dealership? I'll pay you for it....really!

Old 09-13-2006, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

*mad applause* Great post!

Old 09-18-2006, 11:39 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the advice on all this stuff!!
I talked to the dealer,and the service manager wants the car back,and he said he would not charge
labor,,but would diagnose the problem again,and would stop at that,,again!!!
He told me thats all he could do,,is just keep trying to diagnose the problems!!
Im still skeptical about it all!!!
The dealership where the car needs to goto is about an hour and half from my house!!
So getting it back down to clarksville TN, is going to take some time!!
But i will get it back down to Mr.Goodwrench as soon as i can,,and i will keep you guys posted on the outcome
on the matter,,again,& again lol

Oh yeah,,with new tires,, the service active handling comes on alot sooner than it was before,,for some reason!!
Dont know what that means,,if any thing at all!!!
Now i get the same message that i have been getting,,but after about 5 mins of the active handling kikn I/O ,,Now the traction conrtol system kiks out and says service traction conrtol system soon,,and you cannot turn the active handling on or off,,cause the computer has disabled it!!
Dun know?????? Never had that one before!!!
Any ways ill keep you guys posted,,and thanks for all your advice,,you guys are great people,,thanks brad

Quick Reply: Active Handling