Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

anti-theft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Default anti-theft?

Ok my car only starts if I unhook the battery cables for 30 min or so then you get to start it once. You have to do this over again if you want it to start again. I have no keyless entry(didn't come with one) The security light has been on since I bought it 3 wks ago. Someone said I may have an aftermarket anti-theft hooked up that's letting it not start. Anyone heard of this? And how do I fix the problem?

Old 12-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Default RE: anti-theft?

Have you tried your other key? Also, try cleaning your presently-used key with alcohol.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:06 PM

Well, I have given up and I finally took it in yesterday to the chevrolet dealership. So far the have come up with.... A rusty body control module sensor. They said that they could replace it for $500 or we could take it home and wire brush the nasty part off and replace it for free. So that's what we have so far.... I'll keep everyone posted. I may need a prostetic arm and leg when it's over, but hey I'll have a driveable corvette! What could be any better?

Old 12-09-2006, 02:05 AM

Okay, my next question is: How did it get rusty? You should try to find out and then do something to prevent it from happening again.

Good luck!

Dave

Old 12-11-2006, 06:15 PM

They aren't sure about the moisture thing. I bought it from Florida and I live in Kansas. Bought it sight-unseen. The repairman said it hasn't had any other water damage anywhere. He said the body control module might not be the problem but that I have to start there. So far we're up to 800.00 and still not sure it will run! Merry christmas to me huh?

Old 12-27-2006, 02:34 AM

OK lets analize this. When you disconnect the battery you are basicly rebooting the black box.
my question is does the security light come on and stay on even with the key off and removed?
If soI would start at the options menu and reset any security features to off. then check for starting.
Jack the car front up to clear the tires and see if you can turn the front wheals without the key in. if it appears to be locked up then it is a column lock feature that did not get the recall notice. if you can move the tires by the steering wheel then look farther into the Code list. put the key inand turn to on (do not start), press and hold options button then press fuel button 4 times. write any code errors down the help trouble shoot. there is a link in this forum that you can get all of the codes and print them up for future reference
Jerry

Old 01-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Default RE: anti-theft..& tire sensors!

Hi all! Back and running again, It was the BCM that was causing all the trouble! Got that fixed....$800 later... But now I need some new tire sensors.(two of mine are out but I'm going to replace them all at once!)Anyone have any of these or know where I can get them cheap. I only have a left arm left after the last repair!..LOL

Old 01-12-2007, 02:15 AM

Ya OUCH!
but glad it took care of the problem

Old 01-12-2007, 08:20 PM

the tire sensor's will run about 100.00 ea! before buying get them reprogram first
it might save you some money, had this happen to me

Old 01-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

GM has a lot of BCM failures. We replace about 1 a month at my shop. Also have problems with the Pass Key sensor built into the ignition switch. [8D]

Quick Reply: anti-theft?