Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

anyone use the vara ram cold air ram air induction?

Old 05-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Default anyone use the vara ram cold air ram air induction?

I was looking in the MID america catalog and it "says" its drop 3 tenths off the 1/4 mile times and to me that seems like a lot anyone have any opinions on this set up?

Old 05-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Default RE: anyone use the vara ram cold air ram air induction?

I will let you know what I think by the end of this week. I bought this set up and am having it installed along with B & B LT Headers, High Flow Cats and B & B Cat back.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:19 AM

I had one briefly. First, they have a pretty good reputation but the one I bought had poor part to part fit and just would not fit without gaps. I eventually twisted and 'unwarped' the two parts that would not fit so they would fit well enough, having to fiberglass one piece to make it a quarter inch longer so there was no gap.
I had this on my car when it had the stock engine and an early non-intercooledMagnusen SCr kit installed, and headers, etc. It replaced a Blackwing kit, so I have no comparison of it to stock, only to the car with the Blackwing on it. On the dyno the vararam produced 465ish RWHP before and after -- no additional power compared to the Backwing--but then ram-air effects can't really be simulated well on a dyno. It did not do faster at the track however -- at least not faster enough to stand out -- maybe .1 second or maybe not. I left it on the car and drove it that way for six-eight months and had no problems.
I do not have the vararam anymore (took it off and sold it for $100 when I went to the C5R motor) because the intercooler on the Procharger kit goes down under the headlights and theirair channels occupiy the same space the vararam's intake channels used.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Mine is in the shop today, supposed to get it back on Wednesday. Hoping it all goes well. I will be able to tell if it is better than stock, but with everything else I am having done, might be difficult to gauge.
Varam Intake, B & B LT Headers, High Flow Cats, X-Pipe, B&B Cat Back, 160 degree thermostat, TB Bypass. We will see..

Old 05-07-2007, 09:06 PM

I had B&B long tube headers on my original (stock, 5.7 liter) engine. They were very good. You will feel them the first 100 feetyou drive the car.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:21 PM

I am hoping this setup will give me a good push. I cannot wait to get her back. Sucks, but don't have the area to work, years ago I would have done myself. Plus just not motivated enough when I can afford to pay. We will see I am looking forward to it.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:03 PM

can't wait to see what you think of the new set up yellow. I got my 2001 with kooks longtubes, corsa indy exhaust, vararam ram intake, and hurst short throw shifter already on it, so I haven't had the pleaser of seeing what those upgrades did to the car from stock. I will however say that the car runs like a crazy. Treats mustang gt's like they are stock civics. I need to have a friend line up with my 1998 camaro z28 with intake and exhaust to get a real idea of how much faster this thing is. .

I did have a friend with a stock corvette race a friend with a stock vette with just vararam and he said that after second gear he would always have 3 cars on him....so who knows. my friend might have bad eyes and pedal skills 2

Old 03-09-2008, 08:57 PM

I was making 419 rwhp and trapped 113. I added race heads and bigger cam (40 more rwhp) As well as went from a blackwing to the Vararam.I then trapped 116. So with 40 more rwhp and a ram air Vararam I gained 3 almost 4 mph.
Keep in mind I was running near 6000' DA so dont compare my trap speed with others.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:41 PM

I helped my friend install a vara ram on his ONE STOCK (at the time)01 ZO6...he said that it felt better on the big end when he was flyin down the freeway...but he ended up buying this extra part to eliminate the air bridgeand scavenge another 10rwhp because he dropped in a bigger motor..