Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Best brands and mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Default Best brands and mods

Hi guys, Im new as a Vette owner, but not new to the Corvette. My Pops gave me his 2002 C5 A4 for graduation, it already has a replacement K&N filter and a Superchips tuner which I have played around with. I maximized my shift pressure and shift points. I've noticed an increase in the shift pressure, but I've not seen a difference in the shift points.

I've run a best of 8.87 in the 1/8th, I was having alot of wheel spin and a little wheel hop. I'm looking to get the numbers into the low 7's without the use of forced induction or nitrous.

I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction of a good cam, cold air intake, some gears and ET Radials.

As far as cams go, I've looked at HPE and Pro-Comp.. I'm still not real familiar with what would be best. I want maximum power and reliability without harming my engine life.

For air intakes, I've looked into the Vararam VR-B2 Ram Air system for the C5, the manufacturer claims upto 40 horsepower increases throughout the RPM range. Is this to good to be true?

The Drag Radials Ive checked out have been the Mickey Thompsons (of course), and the new Nitto streets which they claim can handle upto 15,000 miles... yet this feels like another deal thats too good to be true.

As far as gears go, I have no idea what I should do...

I know I've been lengthy with this topic, but your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Old 09-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Default RE: Best brands and mods

Come on, I know some of you out there have to have some advice and some experience in this field.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:56 PM

Welcome to the Corvette community!

Gears: Many A4 guys go with 3.42s, which were standard in the MN6 C5s.

Intake: The best CAI is the Callaway Honker. Most CAIs will gain you 10-15 RWHP. The real gain, though, is after the engine heats up. Non-CAI intakes will then ingest hot air, the ECU will retard timing to avoid pinging with the result being a 10 HP loss. CAIs prevent this from ever happening.

Best street tires: Goodyear GSD3s and Michelin PS2s. BF Goodrich KDA-2s are good, but are a bit more noisy. Expect 20,000+ from the GSD3s (last the longest of the top-tier tires) and less from the others.

I'd forgo head/cam and save up for a supercharger. You can wind up with 470+ RWHP with this simple bolt-on. Almost all are 50 states legal.

Dave

Old 09-05-2008, 03:47 PM

I agree about the Supercharger. I'd recommend a Magnusen kit. They produce all thepower a stock engine will take and more low end torque. They require an aftermarket hood and paint match (about two grand altogether, which makes them more expensive than the centrifugal, though.

I would recommmend a good set of long tube headers, though, if legal where you are located. The add power, mid rangetorque, improve fuel economy, hard to argue with that combination.

BFGoodrich are the best tires, too. No doubt. If you never drive in the wet you can go with drag radials on the rear - they measureably improve traction (on a ScR'd car, by a lot) and handle okay, but they will not provide any traction in the rain (none at all) and they wear only about 4K each set. I used them on my SCr'd vette (704 RWHP) and KDWs in front thosewere a bit noisy but I didn't really mi9nd it.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Dave01

Welcome to the Corvette community!

Gears: Many A4 guys go with 3.42s, which were standard in the MN6 C5s.

Intake: The best CAI is the Callaway Honker. Most CAIs will gain you 10-15 RWHP. The real gain, though, is after the engine heats up. Non-CAI intakes will then ingest hot air, the ECU will retard timing to avoid pinging with the result being a 10 HP loss. CAIs prevent this from ever happening.

Best street tires: Goodyear GSD3s and Michelin PS2s. BF Goodrich KDA-2s are good, but are a bit more noisy. Expect 20,000+ from the GSD3s (last the longest of the top-tier tires) and less from the others.

I'd forgo head/cam and save up for a supercharger. You can wind up with 470+ RWHP with this simple bolt-on. Almost all are 50 states legal.

Dave
Man, I never thought I was going to get any replies lol.

If I drop a set of 3.42s in my car will it lower my top speed? If so, by how much?

As for the callaway Honker, Ive heard good things about that CAI, what kind of gains would I most likely see in reality? And as far as the Vararam VR-B2, is this just an intake and not a Cold air intake? Im sorry guys... Im still a noob [sm=smiley6.gif]

My Vette is my daily driver and I do get caught in rain from time to time, so Im sure I'll have to get another set of OEM rims and keep a set of runflats handy for everyday driving and the radials for playtime on the weekends. I'll definitely look into the Goodyears.

Everyone is telling me to save my money and blow my car out. The money is my last concern, I can work hard and make it. My main concern is gas mileage, reliability, and practicality. I love the fact that I have a car making 340 hp and im still getting almost 30 mpg, theres nothing out there like that. If I added a supercharger wouldnt I lose that considering Id be getting higher airflow constantly?

I know theres alot of question marks in there, but I'll be thankful for whatever advice you can give me. you've been helpful as it it.

Thanks alot,
JR

Old 09-07-2008, 02:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

I agree about the Supercharger. I'd recommend a Magnusen kit. They produce all thepower a stock engine will take and more low end torque. They require an aftermarket hood and paint match (about two grand altogether, which makes them more expensive than the centrifugal, though.

I would recommmend a good set of long tube headers, though, if legal where you are located. The add power, mid rangetorque, improve fuel economy, hard to argue with that combination.

BFGoodrich are the best tires, too. No doubt. If you never drive in the wet you can go with drag radials on the rear - they measureably improve traction (on a ScR'd car, by a lot) and handle okay, but they will not provide any traction in the rain (none at all) and they wear only about 4K each set. I used them on my SCr'd vette (704 RWHP) and KDWs in front thosewere a bit noisy but I didn't really mi9nd it.

It looks like one way or another my hand is going to be forced, Im going to end up with a blown Vette lol

Just wondering, are all drag radials useless in the rain? What causes them to lose their traction?

Thanks,
JR

Old 09-07-2008, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Sick C5

Just wondering, are all drag radials useless in the rain? What causes them to lose their traction?

Thanks,
JR
Yes, they are all equally bad. They are wide, flat tires without any real tread. They hydroplane on just a moist patch of pavement. My 'vette (345 drag radials) was undriveable on a wet road at anything more than 15-20 mph.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 PM

Well, as originally planned, I suppose I'll just get some for the weekends

Old 09-07-2008, 04:20 PM

In reality, you will gain approx 12-15 RWHP with a true CAI. The Vararam is a Cold Air Intake as well, but if you have this system installed and you add long tube headers, your engine bay and everything inside will roast. Life of computers, hoses, belts, batteries, etc will be shortened as the engine bay temps climb. At least with the Honker, you can always open up your fog light panels to let in cold air. I kind of have a mixture of both benefits with my Halltech Stinger. I cut out the lower radiadiator cover beneath the air filter, added a stianless steel screen, and a polycarbonate scoop (wall pocket from Staples). The cold outside air blasts past the air filter and into the engine bay. My intake pulls in cold air and my engine bay never gets very hot.

Adding a supercharger will drop your gas mileage by a couple during cruising speeds. Of course, if you hammer the throttle frequently, mileage will drop considerably since more air requires more fuel. The most popular S/C here in CA right now is the Vortech, which does NOT require a hood change. Andy at A & A Corvette is the defacto expert. If you are happy withthe poweryou have, you can save your moneyfor a nice coil-over kit by LG Motorsports. It'll improve handling considerably, especially on less-than-smooth corners.

Dave

Old 09-08-2008, 08:45 PM

Im familiar with A&A. I just recently met Bret, he has the2002 Blue z06 with a Vortech. 856 horsepower.

Still, I think forced induction is to much for me right now, it's going to cost alot more than I have or would like to spend. Im quite impressed with my Vette the way it is, I think its a factory freak. I've raced and beat 3 C6s,05-07.The 05 was an A4, I took him all the way down the track twice. The 06 was an A6,I pulled him as well. The 07 had BFG radials, he pulled me off the line, but after I caught traction in2nd I pulled on himby2 links.

Ijust want to drop a cam, exhaust, exhaust, true CAI, and Radials on for now.

These are the candidates:

-Cold Air Inake: SLP Blackwing or Callaway Honker
-Exhaust: B&B Bullets or Borla Stingers
-Radials: BF Goodrich or Nitto
-Cam: Lingenfeler or Comp Cams

If it was your car whichones would you picK??

Quick Reply: Best brands and mods