Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Big active handling problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Exclamation Big active handling problem

For the last 2 or 3 months I've been having a problem with the active handling on my 02 A4 C5.

The problem has no particular pattern, I've only notced it at speeds over 50mph.

Here's whats up...If I engage cruise control at any speed of 60mph and over... after a few minutes even seconds there is a voltage drop of about 1-2 volts, the cruise control automatically cuts off and "Active Handling" reads out on my DIC. This occurs sporadically..

Then I have a more serious problem that makes me quite nervous... all of the above problems happen along with the rear driverside wheel slightly locking up on its own. The brake applies enough to jerk me out of my lane... this does not ocur everytime... but probably 1 out of every 6 times the other problems occur.

There are no check lights or codes showing... I've gone to the dealership twice and all the can tell me is that without a code they cant help me.

Could someone please tell me WTF is up??

Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 PM

Is your C5 basically stock? If so, it could be the brake control module that is connected to the EBCM. There is a procedure that dealerships use to troubleshoot the brake module. Can you take your car either to a different dealership or a Corvette specialty shop? This type of thing may be somewhat rare but I have read of similar occurances.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Default Know how you feel

My 2001 just started doing the same thing recently, although not quite as severe on the wheel(s) locking up. Could feel the car "doing" something though. it took forever, but after several times of this happening i got a code - and turns out it was the steering wheel position sensor. its in the shop today actually.

here's a thought, (and Dave01, step in and correct me if i'm just being stupid), but could you manually turn off the active handling and then try setting cruise on the highway and see if anything happens? After I pulled the code and realized what my problem was, it seemed to be ok as long as i turned the active handling off until i could get it to the shop. just a thought.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:06 PM

I believe that would work, Architect. That steering position sensor malfunction is fairly common among C5s, although luckily, I've never had it happen to my C5.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 PM

I don't know if this applies guys, but I just came across this on the below link. Hope it does some good!

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...el+Brake+Lines

Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 AM

GREAT! I've heard from other guys that there is a similar problem going on with the steering position sensor in the C6. My car still isn't throwing a code, but at least this is a start, Thanks alot Architect!

I have the stock brake lines, so I'm pretty sure that's not causing my problem, but thanks for the input gigabyte!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Default Active handling issue

sick C5-
What ever came of your active handling problem? My 04 just started the same thing! It is very scary when the wheels lock up...I've been in oncoming traffic a few times. I'm ready to take it back to the dealership for the second time, but looking for more advice on the problem..Thanks!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM

Hello Forum Members,

I have a 99 C-5 with 60,000 miles. During the last two weeks the warning states that the ACT is warming up. What does this mean ? What should I do about it ?

Thanks,

quarrygolf

Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 PM

The warming up code is normal, it is stated in the owners manual.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Default CAT Warming up

I appreciate the info Danger. I have owned the C-5 for 6 years and this just started recently. I want to make sure I am not "stuck" somewhere with an inoperative vette and a huge repair bill.

Thanks,

Quarrygolf

Quick Reply: Big active handling problem