Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

C5 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Default C5 Exhaust

I am looking to buy an exhaust system for my 2000 Corvette FRC. I don't know whether to get a BORLA catback system or Borla Straight pipes. Any recommendations and is there any power difference between straight pipes and catbacks?? Are straight pipes legal?? Will they pass smog??

Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Default RE: C5 Exhaust

Borla catback system is probably going to be a lot more tolerable in the long run noise wise. As far as power goes Im sure if there is a difference, you're talking like 1-2hp so I would just go with what sounds best to you. And catbacks Dont determine whether it passes emmissions either. As long as you have cats (catalytic converters) you SHOULD be in the clear. Anything Borla though is going to be good quality in my opinion.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 PM

Vettedude, I also have a 2000 FRC and I went with Coffins, they sound awesome when you get on it but you can still have a conversation with your sweetheart while your cruising down the hiway....not that Borlas don't sound nice but the guy that invented the Coffins lives in Visalia and does some custom work so I went with him....also about half the price as well

Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 PM

I never heard of Coffins (what a name!) exhaust, but I have Borla Stingers with quad round tips. To me, they are perfect. I drove a Z06 with dual-tip Stingers and because the car has no pup-cats, the exhaust sound was noticably louder. Magnaflow also makes a nice-sounding cat-back. Eliminating the mufflers would make any drive longer than 10 minutes, unbearable.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 PM

I went with the SLP loudmouth and it is really loud, not all people are into that, but I am. Borla is a great cat-back. I would say go with cat-back if you just want sound. You really only need the mid pipe if you are also adding long tube headers.