Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

C5 Gas Gauge Empty - Fuel Sending Units

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 04:56 PM
Smile C5 Gas Gauge Empty - Fuel Sending Units

Hi fellow C5 peeps -

I wanted to add a post to the C5 forum pertaining to the fuel gauge issues that many have experienced with the gauge suddenly going to empty. I also want to thank all of the posters on this forum because as a female Vette owner, I have relied a lot on this site and the expertise of the members to help me diagnose weird issues that have arisen. There is always someone to provide guidance. Thank you so much!

My C5 2004 Vette recently started experiencing this issue. I tried several of the suggestions including the Techron but in my case, this did not resolve the issue. Removing the driver and passenger rear fuel sending units is a very labor intensive job and $$$$. So one tries everything else and prays it might work. Unfortunately in my case, it did not. I took it in and the mechanic diagnosed that both units were bad. the Drivers side unit the connector portions had been eaten away significantly over time and use so no amount of Techron would have resolved the issue. The other thing to consider is if you do have a bad unit on one side, since the rear end and transmission has to be lowered to do this job, you might as well bite the bullet and do both sides at the same time because if one is failing, the other will certainly not be far behind.

I am happy to report that my Nelly is back on the road and running as good as she ever has been :-).

Old 07-25-2020, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

If the connectors are exposed to fuel in the tank, I would recommend going with alcohol-free fuel. Ethanol is a mild acid and no matter what they do to make parts compatible with it, it doesn't change what it is.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:12 PM

Hello 73 Shark! Thanks for taking the time to reply and your feedback. I'm not sure looking for a specific type of fuel would work for me.
Nelly is my only car so I just need to keep her in tip top condition. Wish my brother was still a mechanic, he could help me. But he retired about 5 years ago. But I learned a lot from him and from the forum on what makes my vette tick. I'm grateful for that! Nelly and I are in this for the long haul :-).