Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

C5 Manual Tran Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Default C5 Manual Tran Shifter

Considering changing OE 6 spd shifter to after-market such as Hurst, etc. This is a stock C5 and I don't race, etc., but want to improve shifting. Anyone have recommendations as to brand, and experience with installation (appears to be all done from the top and not super complicated if one knows how to remove trim. Thanks, Dave

Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Default RE: C5 Manual Tran Shifter

I put a Breathless Performance shifter in (http://www.breathlessperformance.com...ts/100-262.asp). If you go to Dave01's page (http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/BPP...%20Install.pdf) he's got a really easy to follow install instructions for the very same shifter. It shifts really smooth and short.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM

Thanks, Kevin,

Whether you buy a BPP, Hurst, or Ripper, use the lightest spring for side-to-side springback and consider adding a couple of .05-inch thick copper washers to the detent plunger that is in the tranny case. Doing so will reduce the amount of effort required to engage and disengage the shifter into and out of gear. It has been called the AntiVenom mod, but varies in that you do not completely remove the detent plunger.

Dave

Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 PM

Iforgot to add that I have not yetdisconnected the CAGS system andplan to doso using the recommended bypass plug. Does disconnection of the CAGS system affect any aspects of theshifter replacement?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM

Nope, not at all.....I've bypassed the CAGS on mine, not at all an issue with the shifter. The CAGS plug is under the car.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: nebrgas

Considering changing OE 6 spd shifter to after-market such as Hurst, etc. This is a stock C5 and I don't race, etc., but want to improve shifting. Anyone have recommendations as to brand, and experience with installation (appears to be all done from the top and not super complicated if one knows how to remove trim. Thanks, Dave
Don't do it! I have friends that have used just about every aftermarket shifter out there. I have been told the stock shifter is the best. You will find the other shifters are notchie, and not as smooth as the stock one. Stick with stock its the best.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 AM

no disrespect cobra,
but You have a cobra..... Have you driven your friends corvette? if somebody is looking for a shorter,more engaging shifter throw I'd say the best you can do it to go after-market. there are many shifters available out there, Hurst is the oldest name in the business all very good products, i had one on my s-197 mustang worked very nicely. Another one that stick out in my mind is the Breathless Performance shifter (BPP) it has a very sturdy feel and MANY many variable adjustments can easily be made to it

Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: JetBlackC5

no disrespect cobra,
but You have a cobra..... Have you driven your friends corvette? if somebody is looking for a shorter,more engaging shifter throw I'd say the best you can do it to go after-market. there are many shifters available out there, Hurst is the oldest name in the business all very good products, i had one on my s-197 mustang worked very nicely. Another one that stick out in my mind is the Breathless Performance shifter (BPP) it has a very sturdy feel and MANY many variable adjustments can easily be made to it
No disrespect to you either but I have a C5. I sold the cobra. My buddies have had their c5/c6's for years now. I know about the after market world as i have been modding cars for the past 15 years, and have been told by many that the stock shifter works the best for smooth shifting. Sure you can get a shorter throw but if the shifter is notchy going into and out of gear then its not worth it IMHO. Thats the only point I was trying to make. If you like that feel in a shifter then more power to ya. One of my buddies just bought the hurst shifter, I asked him how he liked it. He said it is a very short throw, but its notchy. Another friend with a C6 said he tried a few different shifters, all were notchy. Just my .02

Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 AM

yea its cool. I have a B&M type in mine. I love the feel of it. I finally replaced the stock **** with amuch tighter one.I guess it could be described as notchy, but then again its a shifter not a pillow, why wouldyou want to feel like having long mushy rowing, shifts when you want to maximize your e.t., mph, and seat of the pants dyno feel?

Old 04-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

The C6 shift throws are shorter than those in the C5, right? Can those bits be fitted to a C5?

I've driven a lot of cars. Can't say I was a fan of the C5's shifter.

Quick Reply: C5 Manual Tran Shifter