Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Can anything be done

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Default Can anything be done

Can anything be done to prevent or fix the damage done by little rocks that kick up from the road and put nicks in your vette? I am so bummed - I washed my vette tonight and found 3 tiny chips of paint missing. I know they are hardly visible, especially being down low on the body of the car, but still it is so discouraging. You do everything you can to baby your car and then something like this happens. Just wondering if anyone has an answer to this problem. And is there anything that can buff out light scratches? I noticed a few the last time my vette came back from the dealership. [] Lord knows what they did to make that happen. Again, they are barely noticeable but it would be nice to buff them out if possible.

Thanks in advance.
RJ

Old 10-28-2006, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Can anything be done

RJ. You can try 3M perfectit III. it will take care of the scratches and put a real shine on your paint. Just don't push to hard or heat the spot up if you use a machine to do it. you can use your hand and a clean soft cloth. If you do one spot you will want to do the whole thing. It will sure Shine. after it's done, wash it and wax it with your favorite wax. Perfect-it III can be had at most auto parts chains. About the chips...I believe, again, 3M, makes a clear film that you can apply in the chip prone areas and stop most chips. I'm not for sure if it is a 3M product but I will investigate. God bless. Cheers

Old 10-28-2006, 01:43 PM

Hi Rita
Isn't that just a PITA when that happens.
I hate it too. I have seen those protective sheets they sell that actually cling to those prone areas where the chips can occur. They claim there not visible, but I would bet they would be noticeable. But than, are we going to be sure they have been placed in the right areas?
Some people put the "Bras" on the front of their cars, but this is something I would never do. Completely takes away from the appearance if you ask me.
And those light scratches you have can be taken out. Almost any good polish, or a very LIGHT rubbing compound will do the trick. I would reccomend doing it by hand though, stay away from the electrical polsher, those things will eat up paint in a hurry if your not familiar with them.
Follow with a good wax, and I think you'll be happy with the outcome.
Good Luck

ps I have already decided if / when i get enough of those darn chips i am going to take it in and have a paint shop touch it up for me.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:51 PM

Hi George,
Thanks so much for this info. 3M has some pretty good products and I'll be sure to checkout your recommendation.

Blessings back to you, too.
Rita

Old 10-28-2006, 03:55 PM

Hi Rich,
I agree with you - I think those bras look awful. I'm going to follow Blueshark's and your advice for polishing them out. I think you have a good plan as far as going to a paint shop when there get to be too many little dings. []

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Take care. Hope all is well.
Rita

Old 11-01-2006, 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: gorichb

Some people put the "Bras" on the front of their cars, but this is something I would never do. Completely takes away from the appearance if you ask me.
I agree. As well, a bra will typically trap dirt, leaves, pollen, etc. under it from daily driving etc. I used to work at a detail shop. We saw cars that were one or two years old that required a whole repaint to fix the damage caused by those bra's. That stuff gets trapped under there, and if you aren't diligent with maintaining and cleaning them, a lot of them will damage or even wreck the finish on the nose of your car. Stay away from them at all costs, unless it's something you do because you like the appearance of them. Just my $0.02 worth, which ain't worth much.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 PM

Hi TopSpeed,
Your opinion is valued and appreciated. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I have never like the way bras look on cars and now that I know they are more trouble than they are help, I will never use one.

Thanks again.
Take care, stay safe.
Rita

Old 11-01-2006, 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: rjensen

Hi TopSpeed,
Your opinion is valued and appreciated. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I have never like the way bras look on cars and now that I know they are more trouble than they are help, I will never use one.

Thanks again.
Take care, stay safe.
Rita
Rita, your car is so stunning, I just don't wanna see anything bad happen to it, my friend!!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:23 AM

TopSpeed - you are Top Notch in my book.

Many thanks.
Take care, stay safe.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: rjensen

TopSpeed - you are Top Notch in my book.

Many thanks.
Take care, stay safe.
*bows graciously* Why, thank you, m'aam!!!