Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Check out my new toy

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Default Check out my new toy

Well, based on one of my recent polls I can tell that most of you guys are not into car stereos. That's all good!
Myself, I like to dabble a little bit in the area of 'mobile entertainment' hehehehe

So, I recently got a new toy for my C5. It's a GPS system that is also a CD player that is also a DVD player (will only play when the parking brake is on so I can't watch movies while I'm driving) and the best of all is that I've hooked up my iPod to it so I no longer need a CD changer taking up valuable space in my hatchback being that I have over 1,000 songs digitally stored in my iPod.

The little 6.5 inch screen pops out when you start the car and hides itself when you shut the ignition down. Here's a pic. I know some of you are not into this kinda stuff....but aren't you happy for me anyway

Name:  2b21babc.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  69.2 KB

Old 08-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Default RE: Check out my new toy

That looks great! Who installed it? By the way, Sony sells a nice car stereo that has 1 GB built-in to the detachable faceplate. You simply detach it from the stereo, connect it to your PC and download all the songs you want. It runs $300 or so. I have a 12 CD changer in my C5, so I'm in no hurry to change out my stereo.

Dave

Old 08-20-2006, 12:32 AM

Hey rufaryif
Loos good to me, I still Love a great sounding system. Since your really into "mobile entertainment" let me ask you a question. Do you have any problems with alternator wine, or amp noise, coming out of the speakers. When i bought my 98 the guy had a system installed, but I get alot of amp noise, and alternator wine from the speakers at the lower volume. There's 2 zapco amps, a 10"sub, and Bose speakers. Sounds great when I turn it up, but the "noise " is irratatiing. Wonder if you had a suggestions, bad ground? noisy amps? etc. It doesn't look like some amateur job, But they obviuosly did something wrong.
Thanks

Old 08-20-2006, 05:31 AM

It sounds like they need to install a filter to your system. My system doesn't do the whine but at first it had an annoying sound everytime I shut the engine off. He installed a filter and it was gone! The best place to have work like this done is at BestBuys! They are very professional.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:33 AM

Rufaryif, I worked at Best Buy and they are hit or miss. Some of the techs at my store were awesome and I trusted them with my mustang. There were also some I wouldnt let touch my 240sx or even sit in my vette.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:32 PM

Thanks
I have a Best Buy 20 minutes away, But I would have to check out some of the techs first...
Where is this filter installed, before the amp, or after the amp? Can you tell me where yours is?
Thanks

Old 08-21-2006, 03:21 AM

Good question. I'll ask my tech guy this week and I should be able to get you a response this week.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:56 PM

Thank You

Old 08-21-2006, 05:20 PM

Yep, you need a filter. It's a power line filter that strips out ignition noise that is errantly picked up by the sensitive wiring of the stereo system.

Here's a site with a few examples:
Noise Suppressors

Old 08-21-2006, 07:21 PM

Oh so many to choose from. I take it the "amp" rating would be related to the size fuse?
So looks like this installs between the battery and the Power side of the amp??

Thank You for the reply

Quick Reply: Check out my new toy