Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 03:28 AM
Default Daily Driver

Whats up fellas,
Anyone have a daily driven C5, and if so how is that working out?
modded?
let me know!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:29 AM
Default RE: Daily Driver

Mine is a daily driver and it's pretty heavily modded out. I have had a few issues, none were caused by Chevy parts failing though. They all had to do with my supercharger and throwing belts. All in all its working out great, I get to drive a C5 to work everyday!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:30 AM

01 coup auto,bought new 118 k .had NOS. DRAGGED AND ROAD COURSED did tranny at 75 k with stall and 3.42,s. no really big issues except one bullit hole from bar fight

Old 04-29-2007, 10:14 AM

I drove my 'vette ('02 M6 ZO6) every day to work for two years. For the first six weeks it was stock, then it had headers and a cat back and CAI for five months, then I ran a Magnusen SC kit (465 RWHP) for two years. Still a daily driver.

Now, with a bunch more mods, it still is docile and well behaved, but four issues prevent me from driving it ever day: #1 and most serious)I run drag radials on it all the time and the car is just undriveable on any type of wet road at all -- have to watch the weather, 2) -- its a long story but with tubbed rear wheel wells and 12+ inch wide wheels it takes 2 jacks and about 90 minutes to change a flat (I carry a mini spare) -- don't want to be caught in traffic if I have a flat, 3) I bought the Porsche as a daily driver and frankly and with its automatic it is a more better go-to-work car.

If you plan to mod a C5 or C6 and use it as a daily driver my advice would be to avoid lowering the car at all, or installing a front skirt that is very low, and with the engine to avoid any type of heads and cam kit or a radial cam kit: Yes, those can add lots of power, but they tend to do so by moving the torque and HP peaks up the RPM band and the result is a car without a lot of low end torque: fast at the strip but not on the street. Instead, go for mods that increase low and mid range torque as well as HP: long tube headers, stroker kits, higher lift but not dramatically longer duration cams (and the springs and rockers and retainers tha go with them), and superchargers, particularly the Magnusen type. Also, don't go really radical. You can push a C5 beyond 465-480 RWHP but even with a SCr the tune starts to get edgy and durability drops dramatically.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 AM

i drive an 01 Z06 100 miles a day for my commute. aside from busting a couple of valve springs from banging the rev limitter (missed a shift) while dicing it up with some other cars on the highway, its been completely reliable.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:44 PM

I bought a used '04 in July of last year with 26K. It's an auto coupe, 2.73s, MagnaRide. I use it as a daily driver, 90% freeway use, and the car now has 46K on it. Typical mixed economy runs about 24mpg, highway is great, 28-30. It is comfortable, a fair amount of road noise due to the stock Goodyear EMTs, and MagnaRide is great. Supple over bumps on "Tour" setting, much better anti-sway on "Sport," while still maintaining comfort when playing around.

I've owned several older Porsche 911s, and while I agree that Chevy could spend more money improving interior plastics, let's just say that this car is far easier to own with respect to maintenance, repairs, and parts and labor costs. Not to say that an older 911 is prohibitive, but it IS more expensive.

I bought this thing to DRIVE, not look at, though that's nice too.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: VetteDave04

I bought a used '04 in July of last year with 26K. It's an auto coupe, 2.73s, MagnaRide. I use it as a daily driver, 90% freeway use, and the car now has 46K on it. Typical mixed economy runs about 24mpg, highway is great, 28-30. It is comfortable, a fair amount of road noise due to the stock Goodyear EMTs, and MagnaRide is great. Supple over bumps on "Tour" setting, much better anti-sway on "Sport," while still maintaining comfort when playing around.

I've owned several older Porsche 911s, and while I agree that Chevy could spend more money improving interior plastics, let's just say that this car is far easier to own with respect to maintenance, repairs, and parts and labor costs. Not to say that an older 911 is prohibitive, but it IS more expensive.

I bought this thing to DRIVE, not look at, though that's nice too.
Good call man!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:55 PM

All I can say, chargedvette02, is my car and probably my driving style is a LOT more mellow than yours! I've had mine up to 135 or so, still pulling hard of course, and wish I had a stick for those times I'm frolicking in the mountains. I know I don't have a big enough ego to think I use all the power the thing has already in corners, and with an auto, I really don't think the car is capable of handling much more, especially with the stock run-flats.

It's just a really fast, comfy cruiser as is. Which is why I bought her.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:26 PM

my C5 is a 2000, driven hard everyday with less than 77,000 miles on it without a problem. however...it's still 100% stock. since it's paid off now...it won't stay stock for long...