Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

driver's side leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Default driver's side leaking

I read through the tsb for the various places C5's have been known to leak. it describes possible leak points and fixes for every place on the C5 other than the one place where mine appears to be leaking. It rained like crazy this morning and there was water on my driver's side carpet this morning. it is dripping (somewhat quickly) just to the rear of the footrest to the left of the clutch. I opened the hood and noticed that there is a puddle of water collected under where the wiper arm enters the coweling. would the possible leak points and fixes which are listed in the tsb for the passenger's side also apply to leaks on the driver's side? is there a drain in there somewhere which could be clogged? I'm surprised to find such a large collection of water in there. Please help! its dripping over some wires under the dash, and that's never a good thing! could explain some of the many many electrical problems this car has though!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Default RE: driver's side leaking

hey man sorry to hear about that leak,i've got one on the passenger side,
what did you mean you looked on tsb for imfo,what did you mean?

Old 01-08-2007, 10:31 PM

Guys,
Have you changed the windshield, after my first windshield change, due to a crack, they changed it again three time for leaks along with three sets of side gutters(way more expensive than the windshield) it never stopped the leaks. I, myself sealed the top of the gutter from the exterior and fill the top of the windshiel(under the black rubber trim) with translucide silicone, it did stop the leaks. Good luck

Old 01-08-2007, 11:18 PM

yeah, there's a GM TSB (technical service bulletin) on C5 leaks
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=203
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=208
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=210

I haven't started investigating the cause of my leaks because I just noticed it today. but like I said it looked like there was a pool of water which I could see with the hood open just below where the driver's side wiper does under the coweling. I'm hoping there is a drain in there which is clogged or something. that would be an easy fix, but it looks like water from there just pours into the driver's side floor. I drove to work this morning with water slowly dripping into my right foot. not cool!

Old 01-14-2007, 12:29 PM

Problem solved.

there is a chamber which collects water directly below where the driver's side wiper arm goes under the cowling. you can see it directly behind the dirver's side wheel well. there are two rubber protrusions which extend down in this chamber, at the bottom there are slit like drains where the water is supposed to drain out. the weight of the water deforms the rubber and opens them up so the water will drain. they are easily acessed by hand without taking anything apart. I found them completely clogged with leaves and dirt and everything else imaginable. I pulled the first leaf out and water started pouring out of that chamber. I finished cleaning it all up and now I doubt there will be any more leaks. so if anyone else has this problem, try that.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:53 PM

Great post
Bet quite a few of us will check this out from now on....

Old 01-14-2007, 10:09 PM

thanks! I hope everyone here can benefit from that solution. I can try to post a picture of that thing if I can figure out how to do that there. If that thing get clogged like mine its a pretty major problem. I drove to work in the heavy rain which takes 10-15 minutes, and my clutch foot was literally soaked by the time I got there because of this leak. it really came in fast. to try to see where it was coming from I pushed aside on piece of insulation down there and about 500ml of water just poured inside the car all at once. If water pools up in there due to a clogged drain it really dumps out inside the car. And if that's not bad enough it drips right on some of the dash wiring around there! Everyone check your drains :-) no wonder my 99 has so many electrical problems.