Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Dyno Tuning Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Default Dyno Tuning Results

Well....after a few mods here are my dyno results....not much to brag about but not too bad considering it's a mostly stock vette with an auto 4-speed trans.

320 RWHP/ 340 RWTQ

One step at a time
;-)

Old 06-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Default RE: Dyno Tuning Results

Not bad at all! I don't really like dynos though, my car will dyno on any given day 470 rwhp and 465 rwtq down to 440 rwhp and 444 rwtq. I can't believe weather could play that big of a part to make 30 rwhp difference; I just think dynos arent that accurate but I could be wrong.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:01 AM

Not bad at all! I don't really like dynos though, my car will dyno on any given day 470 rwhp and 465 rwtq down to 440 rwhp and 444 rwtq. I can't believe weather could play that big of a part to make 30 rwhp difference; I just think dynos arent that accurate but I could be wrong.
I have to agree with you. I heard that hot climate and weather conditions can affect the numbers. Today it was a hot summer day out here in my neck of the woods. I wonder what my numbers would have been had I dyno'd it in Mile High Colorado?

Old 06-19-2007, 02:14 PM

Not bad, peacemaker: about 10% up on a typical stock autotrans C5.

Chargedvette: variations in temperature and humidity and barometric pressure can make a tremendous difference in the power an engine will produce, up to 15%, but any good dyno shop can give you an "SAE corrected" figure--adjusted from the actual temp-humid-and pressure during the test to standard conditions using an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineer) adjustment. Dynojet and other systems will spew this figure out automatically if just given the current temp, humidity, and barometric pressure.

However, many cars with highly computerized engine controllers (i.e., 'vettes) often dobetter under some conditions that others because the control systems respond better to some types of weather than others. In terms of weather adjusted, SAE standard RWHP, my 'vette does about 35 RWHP less when air temp is below 40 deg F or when temp is above 90 degrees but humidity is below 50% - its programming doesn't quite get things right in these circumstances, and won't, until I have it tuned on a day with weather like that (which isn't going to happen, not worth the added cost for such rare days around here).

Something similar is probably why you have variations +/- onvarious days.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Pecemkr

Well....after a few mods here are my dyno results....not much to brag about but not too bad considering it's a mostly stock vette with an auto 4-speed trans.

320 RWHP/ 340 RWTQ

One step at a time
;-)
Hi Pecemkr,
Thanks for posting your numbers.Funny thing, I made a calltoday about getting dynoed here in S.D. Was wondering where you went, the cost, and if youwere pleased.

No matter what, your ride is still muy caliente in my book.

Ow ooo!
RJ

Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 AM

Most shops around here (central NC) charge about $60 for a simple dyno run (usually they run the car twice). Some charge a one-time additional fee the first time (i.e., it's $115 the first time, $60 each additional test later on).

Actual dyno tuning, where they adjust the engine ECM programming while it is on the dyno, is extra, of course.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

Most shops around here (central NC) charge about $60 for a simple dyno run (usually they run the car twice). Some charge a one-time additional fee the first time (i.e., it's $115 the first time, $60 each additional test later on).

Actual dyno tuning, where they adjust the engine ECM programming while it is on the dyno, is extra, of course.
Actually, I got a half-day dyno tune where they adjusted the ECM programming. I actually purchased a propriatary license to have the timming and Air/Fuel ratio adjusted. They even eliminated a small knock my engine had even though I could not hear it but the computer picked it up and they eliminated it. My vette is now running leaner (at full throtle) and it increase the RWHP by 10 ponies compared to the non-tuned pulls from before. A half-day (4 hours) tune here runs about $400.

The tech told me that with my RWHP and RWTQ (I have 3.90s) I could probably beat a stock C6 at the track. I plan on testing his assertion soon . He test drove my car afterwards and was pleasantly surprised at how the car accelerated. He's coming with me at the end of this month and feels I should be able to lay down something in the 12s. We'll see.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Thanks, Lee and Pecemkr!
Appreciate the input on what to expect regarding cost. A girl can never know too much going into a auto repair shop.

BTW - Pedro, does that license mean if you take your vette to the dealership and they set the computer back to stock the dyno shop will reprogram you? I imagine having the timing and air/fuel ratio adjusted is similar to what I was going to do w/the Hypertech Programmer, but with the HT programmer at least you can always go back in yourself and reprogram. Just wondering. I think to start, I'll just have them run a few pulls to find out how much rwhp I have now with my few mods, since it was 350 stock.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: rjensen

Thanks, Lee and Pecemkr!
Appreciate the input on what to expect regarding cost. A girl can never know too much going into a auto repair shop.

BTW - Pedro, does that license mean if you take your vette to the dealership and they set the computer back to stock the dyno shop will reprogram you? I imagine having the timing and air/fuel ratio adjusted is similar to what I was going to do w/the Hypertech Programmer, but with the HT programmer at least you can always go back in yourself and reprogram. Just wondering. I think to start, I'll just have them run a few pulls to find out how much rwhp I have now with my few mods, since it was 350 stock.
Well, Rita....the way they explained it to me was that I now owned that license to do with as I pleased in terms of changing things back or re-tuning after additional mods have been installed. BTW, I never take my vette to the dealership anymore....I have Corvette Specialty of California handle all my mechanical stuff, mods, paint, etc. They're great!

Old 06-21-2007, 05:14 PM

Sounds great! And I understand why you do not use the dealership; unfortunately, I bought the GMPP and have to use them. Will probably regret spending the $ for the PP, but at the timeit seemed like the right thing to do.
Oh, well, live and learn.

BTW - finally got my photo album up.

Take care, my friend.
RJ

Quick Reply: Dyno Tuning Results