Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Extended warranty

Old 06-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Default Extended warranty

The dealership is offering an extended warranty for $1600. It must be purchased before 24,000 miles. It looks like it covers all the things that don't normally go, and does not cover all the parts that have to be routinely replaced. Any suggestions? Is it worth it?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:00 AM
Default RE: Extended warranty

Most warranties do not cover wear items like clutches, brakes, tires, etc. How long is the warranty good for?

Old 06-30-2006, 10:39 PM

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your willingness to help.
Well, at second look, this maybe worthwhile. The brochure says the plan covers every mechanical, electrical and electronic component against failure - even if it results from wear and tear.
That includes parts and labor on:
engine
transmission/transaxle
front/rear wheel-drive assemblies
fuel system
engine cooling system
heating and vehicle manufacturer-installed air conditioning systems
electrical, computer and audio systems
braking systems components
suspension (front /rear)
steering system
hi-tech components
seals and gaskets
safety assemblies

It also includes flat tire change, towing, battery jump, locksmith/key service nad out of gas fuel delivery. Not covered are:glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, tires bumpers, sheet metal, body panels and parts, carpet , weather strips, brakes, shocks, carburetor and things like that.
I'm not sure how long this plan is for, but will check. There are different plans and I'm not sure how long the plan for $1600 covers. One thing I know: everything with a Corvette is expensive.
Thanks in adance for your advice. Rita

Old 07-02-2006, 03:25 AM

Hi, Rita.

I had the GMPP plan until one month ago and it is a great plan - worth the money, IMO.

Happy 4th!

Dave

Old 07-03-2006, 12:04 AM

Hi Dave,
Thanks so much for your take on this. I greatly value your opinion and appreciate your help.

You have a safe and happy 4th, too!
Rita

Old 09-03-2006, 07:56 PM

Hi Dave & Rita
Rita did you get the Extended Warranty? I just looked into it. My Basic 3yr 36,000 mile Warranty is up in a couple weeks. My 04 C5 coupe has 11,000 miles on it now. It had 8,000 miles when I bought it this last Feb 06' I checked it out at City Cheverlet. They showed me for $2,640.00 I can get a Major Gaurd GMPP
Extended Warranty Just like new Bumper to bumper 6yr 48,000 miles starting from my current milage. My Vette is a weekend driver, so this time and milage would cover me fine. What do you think.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:34 PM

If you are going to keep your C5 fairly stock, then you may want to look into a quote from Warranty Direct. It should be approx. half what the GMPP will be. The reason I mention keeping it stock is that Warranty Direct has been known to refuse to honor repairs to a modified C5. By the way, if you haven't had your column lock mechanism disabled by either the dealership with a block-off plate or by the installation of a Column Lock Bypass, then you should get one of these fixes done. My column lock actuator lasted approx. 1500 cycles before refusing to budge in the locked position. I had to have my car towed to the dealership. Luckily, everything was covered under the extended warranty. Other than that, the repairs that you will likely require over the next three years (with your low mileage driving) may cost you $1000 - $1500 and it is unlikely that you'll rack up $2500 in repairs over that time.

Dave

Old 09-03-2006, 08:54 PM

That sounds like a lot of money to me, but then it is for 6 years. My 3yr/36K miles warranty is up 3/27/07, so I haven't done anything yet, other than inquire. I am still waiting to hear back from some guy in the finance dept. I bought my car 2/28/06 and it had 17,800 miles on it. It now has a approx 20, 500. I do drive it during the week, but only take it out at night for fun. The night I bought the car, I was quoted $1600 for a PP, but can't remember the time period it covered. Judging by the quote you got, I'm guessing it covers 3 year. I'm hope my vette will be a good car and not one constantly in the shop. I'll be buying some PP, but probably not be the one for 6 years. I have no idea what a column lock mechanism is, so I'll have to contact my dealership on that one.

Hope that helps.
Rita

Old 09-04-2006, 12:07 AM

Thank you, Dave & Rita
For the quick response. Yes it is alot of money for an Extended Warranty, and i will ck out Warranty Direct. The only thing I think I will be doing to my Vette is a Borla stinger cat back system w/ X pipe and a Calif legal Callaway air Intake system. I will be checking into my column lock mechanism as soon as possible. Thank you

Old 09-04-2006, 02:03 AM

Dave,
I went to WarrantyDirect.com and you were right about price. I got a quick qoute. They deduct the current milage from the plan. So my car 12,000 miles on it now and the Plan, which would be a SecureCare True Bumper to Bumper Plan 6yr/60,000miles minus my 12,000 is 6yr/48,000miles is $1,616.00 w/$100.00 deductible.
The only thing I found under Ineligible Vehicles. Was written like this. Vehicles Ineligible are Vehicles
that have been modified in a fashion not recommended by the manufactuer (e.g. Removel of emissions control equipment, oversized or undersized tires,& suspension kits.
So with a Borla cat back system W/ X pipe & a Calif legal Callaway air Intake, Nothing is disconected, will I be okay, and covered?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended warranty