Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

GHL Motorsports Sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Default GHL Motorsports Sucks!!!

Anyone considering a GHL Exhaust think again. I just purchased a bullet exhaust for my C5 and am very unhappy with their customer service. The bullet exhaust is one of the more expensive exhausts out there. So I receive it in the mail. No instructions, no new gaskets. Geezz, I paid full retail from GHL $950 and they don't even include instructions. Not that it is difficult, but for the money you think they would have at least told you to remove the sway bar to get the old exhaust out. Instead of me messing around to figure it out. They've done this before tell me the little tricks to make it quicker.

Anyway, that's not even my beef. For the money you'd think the exhaust would have fit right? Well it didn't. My tuner had to cut one of the section to even get the thing to fit because one of the bends was bent too much and the tip hit the car. Anyway, it took us 2 hours to figure out what we had to do to make it fit. Thus, costing me $150 more for the install. So, I call and e-mail Brian @ GHL and all he can say is sorry for the inconvenience. Actually, he never returned my calls and only returned my e-mails when I'd send them over and over basically begging for a reply. This guy is a joke. All I was asking was for him to knock $100 off for the BS I had to go through and he never replied to my e-mail or phone calls. Their customer service sucks. I don't mind paying top dollar for stuff, but when I do and it isn't what it should be the company should bend over backwards to make it right. I'd never do business w/ them again. Save the money and get a Borla Stinger System.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Default RE: GHL Motorsports Sucks!!!

I have the GHL exhaust on my '02 ZO6. Not sure if it is the same as yours. It is the polished stainless, flow-through (like the Borla Stinger, in one end and out the other of each muffler, rather than like nearly all other C5 exhausts including the stock). Mine was built with over-sized pipes for high output application. It cost somewhere between $1300-$1800, can't remember, but with big diameter pipes and polished quad tips I considering it expensive but worth it.

It fit perfectly -- I mean absolutely perfectly, with no cutting, etc., fitting the hangers and positoing itself naturally. Maybe they just screwed up and sent you the wrong kit: everybody makes mistakes. The only problem I ever had was when I subsequently tubbed the rear wheel wells so I could put 13" width wheels and 345s on the rear, I had to adjust one muffler and move it about 1/4 inch in toward the center of the car.

The lack of gaskets it pretty common (sort of what you expect, I buy them buy the half dozen) and the lack of instructions is also what I've come to expect: really, how difficult can it be to put an exhaust on? I've bought and installed cat-backs and header kits from B&B, Kooks, GHL, and Borla on several LS engined cars and the GHL is among the best.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:35 PM

I agree and disagree. The exhaust is nice. However, mine didn't fit. Yes, it was easy to install, but not everyone has installed 10 exhausts on C5's. This was our first one. Obviously, GHL has done this a bunch of times..... how hard would it be to add an instruction sheet that tells you to take of the rear sway bar? I don't think I'm asking too much. It wasn't a big deal, just something you'd expect when you're paying top dollar for an exhaust.

the BIGGEST problem I have is that NOT once did they try to make things right. NOT EVEN CLOSE. They don't retun phone calls or e-mails. their customer service sucks. I would have paid double for the thing if they had better customer service. Customer service is key to me. I spend thousands of dollars a year on boat mod, vette mods, sled mods, harley mods and I can tell you what I go were the customer service and product are the best. With GHL this isn't the case. They have a good product, horrible customer service and apparently NO QUALITY CONTROL! So as far as your comment "people make mistakes' that's ok if you make an attempt to correct the mistake. However, that was not done here. Once they had my money that was it.

Just posting my expereice with them.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Administrator

in my experiences, many performance shops dont include directions, as to try to prevent people who dont know what theyre doing, and damaging the car, then coming back and blaming the retailer. especially with high performance systems, they want you to pay someone to put it on, or make sure someone puts it on who doesnt need directions. that would be my guess.

Old 10-29-2005, 12:05 AM

Yeah, I understand your point, Patrick. I've had most of my work done by a shop, but I put the GHL on myself, just because it was something I could do myself. I mean, its just an exhaust and it really was simple. No offense to anyone but how difficult can it be? The way the ipes werebent its impossible even to mistake which end of the muffler in in and out, and everything fit only one way.

As to not returning calls, well, I've dealt with most of the shops - Lingenfelter, MTI, Crower, and they are mean well and give good advice when you can get them on the phone, but they are just busy ---- and franly most are run by people who are more car enthusiasts than businessman -- not the most organized, maybe even forgetful. I had losts of frustrations (although never with GHL)but I could never hold it against any of them.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:17 AM

I had a run-in with GHL a few years ago. Essentially, I commented that their exhaust note sounded more like a truck's than a 60s Corvette's. He (the owner) didn't like that comment and, well, I won't go too far with this....to each his own, I guess.

Anyway, not only did my Borla Stingers come with instructions, but they also came with a VERY nice baseball-style cap that I wear all the time. I have called them on occasion and they have always been prompt and courteous. No, the Stingers no longer come fully polished, but for $550 for the quad-rounds, I can't complain at all. Besides, the sound is closest I've heard to my 68's DynoMax Super-Turbos!

Old 10-29-2005, 12:07 PM

Yeah, Borla is good stuff. I bought a cat back for a Camaro from them and it is good stuff. Their Stinger exhaust is one of the best for the vette. I went with the GHL because I actually bought it through Lingenfelter and wanted bigger diameter pipes, and I guess GHL is a small enough shop that they would do custom work like that. I understand now that Lingenfelter also uses Billy Boat (B&B) for custom headers and exhaust.

Regardless, mine fit, but you can't really go wrong with Borla - never heard anyone upset with them.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:47 PM

so Kirch, aside from the bad customer service and having to mod it a little, how does the thing sound. Are you atleast happy with the end result, cause a few months down the line thats all thats really going to count.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:57 AM

Over all I am happy w/ the sound. However, it wasn't worth a grand. another thing I'm not too happy about is a had to adjust my tips twice...... seem to have moved a little. If they aren't perfect it drives me nuts.

I agree it was an easy install. However, it would have been easier is they simply stated. REMOVE SWAY BAR. Oh, well. In the future I'm going to recommend stingers to my friends as I think they're a better bang for the buck. Plus, Borla stands behind their product unlike GHL.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Kirch

Over all I am happy w/ the sound. However, it wasn't worth a grand. another thing I'm not too happy about is a had to adjust my tips twice...... seem to have moved a little. If they aren't perfect it drives me nuts.

I agree it was an easy install. However, it would have been easier is they simply stated. REMOVE SWAY BAR. Oh, well. In the future I'm going to recommend stingers to my friends as I think they're a better bang for the buck. Plus, Borla stands behind their product unlike GHL.
I have the Stingers with the dual tips on my car, and I love them....its the only exhaust that I recommend to people. Now I'm just getting the cash together to finish it off with LG Headers and X-pipe x/ Random Tech. Cats.

Quick Reply: GHL Motorsports Sucks!!!