Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Headlight motor noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Default Headlight motor noise

Recently on my 2002 C5 convertible my passenger side headlight motor started making noise as the lights turned off. Once I turned on the parking lights the headlights would rise up, and normally they would'nt until I turned on the headlights. I can turn on the headlights with no prob, but once I turn off all lights the headlight doors would close and the passenger side would make a sort of grinding sound as if something is stripped ( gears or whatever ). After about 5 seconds the noise stops but this is very annoying. Do I need just the motor or the whole asembly? Any comments would be appreciated and thanks. Robert

Old 05-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Default RE: Headlight motor noise

Hi,

Sorry to hear of the noise you have on your headlight. Unfortunately, the C-5's came with plastic gears, which raise and lower your lights. The gear is stripping it’s teeth (it is a common problem) and will only get worse or not works at all. Solution is to get a set of brass gears for EACH headlight. I got a pair at Motor Spot Image - had a better price on them than others (motorsportimage.com) or call them. They are located in Roseville, CA. I dealt with a guy named Philip, who was very helpful.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2006, 06:09 AM

You can also remove the motor, take the plastic gear out, turn it 180 degrees and put it back in. Since the motor only uses 1/2 of the gear, the other side is brand new and will usually last another few years or so.

Here's a link that explains how to do the 180 fix (or install the brass gear, whichever you decide to do) ... The car it's talking about is a trans am, but the vette lights are identical, you just need to get them out on your own.

Step by Step Guide to Fix the Headlight

Old 05-21-2006, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the info ATBATT, I e-mailed motorsportimage about my prob and am awaiting a reply. I hope that's all it is and I will start repairing it once the parts come in. I will write later as to the outcome of my project.

Thanks. Robert

Old 05-21-2006, 06:19 PM

THANKS A BUNCH X PHANTOM X! That link was EXTREMELY helpful and I ordered the brass gears for both motors so I wont have to worry about them any more. The step by step online instructions with pictures are just what I need and it seems not to be too big of a fix. I will let you know the outcome once my parts come in. Once again thanks for the liks and anyone who has a similar problem I would suggest this link.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:52 PM

Hey no prob. Yeah the install itself is very simple, only really requires a few sockets and a screwdriver. Get some good plastic epoxy and use something to hold the motor housing closed for awhile though. The first time I did it, I didn't let it dry long enough and I ended up having to take it back out again because the housing didn't seal right. It's a real simple fix though.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:45 PM

Well the brass gears are in and the motors are working like new. I let the epoxy cure for two days before the install and once in I had to try them out before I put everything back together, so far so good. Naturally I had to raise and lower them about ten times to get all of the gaps right but I will wait for the weekend before using them again. Also the problem with them coming up when they were not suppost to is no longer. And to think I was going to spend about $270 on a new one? Once again thanks. Robert

Old 06-01-2006, 09:48 PM

Tahnks for the info, the new gears are in and working properly. Also the problem with the lights raising up when they were not suppost to is no longer there and thats a BIG plus Once again thanks for the info and to think I was going to spend about $270 on a new one? Robert

Old 05-18-2008, 11:15 AM

Hi

Is there a step by step on how to remove the headlight to get access to the motor?

The step by step listed above uses a firebird as the example and the assembly is different.

Thanks

Doug

2000 C5
06 Avalanche

Old 05-22-2008, 07:36 PM

Hi Digger, the step by step that was given to me was for a firebird but you are going to find that it is the exact same motor. once you have it off the steps are identical. the only problem I have now is that the driver side keeps chewing up the plastic stops ( insulators ) and I cant figure a simple way to solve the problem. If I had to do it over I would try the simple 180 degree turn before i bought brass gears. Anyway have fun and good luck.

Quick Reply: Headlight motor noise