Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

I'm such a moron!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Default RE: I'm such a moron!

Yea I don't think it's on our 98. I just turn it off when I want to have a little fun.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:57 PM

umm ...

.. I have a '98 C-5, with active handling ..and the owners manual sez 'competitive driving mode' is available if I press and hold the active handling button down for over 5 seconds, the DIC will state that traction control/active handling is disabled, there won't bethe little warninglabel on the dash,
..but oh ya .. yer in competitive driving mode.

With traction control on, I still get a little fishtail if I get on it cornering ..where it really shines tho is jumpin on it a bit off the light ..I don't have to worry about smokin those ~$200+ tires and I can still stick a fender up on that lil red ricer with the wing till we get to the speed limit ..and make it look like I am not even payin attention to him .. LOL.

-Frank (and if I ever get pulled over ..it's 'racing? I didn't even realize he was, officer! The Vette just comes off a stop light a bit fast, it's very responsive officer

Old 12-17-2006, 06:48 PM

Yeah, my '98 has it too!~ AsI mentioned in my first post, being in a situation where you need to be able to give it full throttle,then not having that full throttle can be of no benifit at all. For example: I was sitting at a stop lightlast summer in my Z28, whenthis lady came flying up behind me not paying attention towhat she was doing. Now ifI would have had the traction control "on", she would have totaledthe rear of my car no questions asked. ButsinceI choose to drive withthe system off, I was able to floor itand move out of the way.

Sure I could have let her hit me and had the rear of my car wasted, and who knows how much damageit would have done to my back and neck,......but since I'm on gaurd at all times and constantly paying attention to what's going on around me, I choosenever to drive with the traction controlon. I certainly won't remove it from the car though. If for what ever reason I have to let someone else drive it, I'd rather it be on since I don't know how well they can handle power. But since I've been driving and racing (high horse-power) cars over the last 24 years, I know how to handlemost any situation.

Believe it or not, I have my mother to thank for that. She use to take me down tothe huge (empty)Boeing parking lots in the wintertime, and teach me how to drive in the snow. That's right, my mom taught me how to driftback in '79. How cool is that?........having a mom that knows how to drift her '73 Camaro,then teachesme how to do it at the age of 13. She wasactually justteaching mehow to control a car in a slide, but it may as well have been a drifting lesson the way she taught me tofeather the gas during that slide so as to control whereit wouldgo. I gotta love my mom for that one.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:18 AM

LOL Arch!

My mom useda do the same thing ..only with me it was in her '57 Ford 2-door, icy parkin lots in Great Falls, Montana. She told me to always take a 'new' car to me out to a slippery lot an see what to expect out of it. Took my daughter and son out to Mojave dry lake in my Honda CRX for the same reasons when they were 16.

Traction control keeps 'em from spinning ..smokin tires do not equal acceleration ..if they are smokin, yer not puttin it to the ground. -period-
I lost count of how many street racin hero's that got a good look at my tail lights due to their smokin tires.. gotta hook 'em to *go*

-Frank
ok .. I'll list the cars I owned an grew up on
'67 Hemi 4-gear GTX (my first tunnel-ram car) (it had 20k miles on it, was 2yrs old when I bought it for $2700 from a dealership)
'69 426 Wedge Road Runner, 4-gear car (began life as a 383 car, and I dint tell many that I had swapped out)
'64 Chevelle L-88, 4-gear (no, it didn't come 'stock' with it (my 2nd tunnel-ram car, lotta folks thought it was a 327 -evil grin)
'71 440 powered Duster (my first automatic, 3rd tunnel-ram car, and reliable as a rock)
..and now a '98 Vette coupe that I am still learnin about

Old 12-18-2006, 12:33 AM

You guys are old...

Haha, Just kidding guys. I know I am gonna be there one day (in about 30 years! LOL!!)

Matt

P.S. - I know when I get there, I am gonna have some 20 year old laughing at me calling me an old man just like I do to you guys. I figured I would get my fair share in while I still can lol.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

You guys are old...

Haha, Just kidding guys. I know I am gonna be there one day (in about 30 years! LOL!!)

Matt

P.S. - I know when I get there, I am gonna have some 20 year old laughing at me calling me an old man just like I do to you guys. I figured I would get my fair share in while I still can lol.
He-He-Heeeeeee.....Actually you'll be my age in 20 years.

I hear ya thoughbuddie!!! It's funny because I don't actually feel all that old @ 40,......... but then again I do remember 20 years ago thinking that 40 year old guys were pretty old,and that I certainly wasn't looking forward to being one!

I'mjust glad I don't feel as old asI thought I wouldwhen I turned40. I'm also glad I don't look that old either. I look atall of my friends that I grew up with, and just aboutevery one of them is either going grey or bald, and half of them have big old beer bellies on 'em. (LOL) I do have a few more aches and pains than I'd like to, but then again who doesn't?

I live by that saying that goes..........................
"I may be getting older,BUT I REFUSE TO GROW UP"!!!
For the most part I still do all the same things I did whenI was 20.....I just do 'em Clean and Sober now!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

That's great man.I am updated version 7 of 39(46), and if/when I grow up I want to be a retired guy with a cool vette.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

I hope you kids don't mind this ol' fossil (54) hoblin' up to the plate here.
I do remember when,....just after God created water,.....learnin' traction control without this new fangled electronical stuff. A '70 440/6 packRR, and a '70 SS454 Chevelle were the tools for my leanin' way back when. Oh,.... and a '55 two door Chev. sedan with a toasty 283, on the roundy round track. Now I'm buildin' an '80 454 Vette.
Fishtails? OH YA!!! Love'em!!!
Traction control is kinda like gun control, bein' able to hit your target!

Old 12-22-2006, 05:15 PM

-grin-

56 atm .. my hair started greyin at the sideburns when I was 17 ...all white in my late 30's .. people always took me way more seriously than I did
ie: useda overhear people sayin 'watch out for the old man in that Duster' ..-evil grin-

-Frank (I know people who have 'grown up' ..they are *no* fun to be around!)

Old 12-22-2006, 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Grayeagle

umm ...

.. I have a '98 C-5, with active handling ..and the owners manual sez 'competitive driving mode' is available if I press and hold the active handling button down for over 5 seconds, the DIC will state that traction control/active handling is disabled, there won't bethe little warninglabel on the dash,
..but oh ya .. yer in competitive driving mode.
Guess I will have to check her again....But haven't got it to work yet.

Quick Reply: I'm such a moron!