Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Interior Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Default Interior Light Problem

I'm haveing an issue on my 1999. When I turn the multifunction head light switch to accessory I get no response. When I turn it to the head lights usually (sometimes they delay until the car gets moving or I turn the switch off and on again) the head lights come up and work fine. The interior lights do not come on at all. The fog lights do not work and no amber light at the switch next to the trunk release switch. The fog lights do come on if I flash the high beams with the head lights off. The dimmer seems to make no difference either. It will turn on the dome lights if you turn it all the way. All lights do come on when I pull the key or use the alarm.

At this point I think it is the multifunction switch. Does anyone know if there is another system that could cause these symptoms?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:14 PM
cwb
Default RE: Interior Light Problem

You got a ground failed.

Pulling the key makes available an auxilliary timed ground, not used under any other circumstances. Since no other circuit manipulation makes the interior lights come on, I guess it is NOT a common ground - that no other appliances share it.

However, the dimmer maxed makin' the dome come on lends to a bad switch.

Pull the switch, don't disconnect it, and probe for continuity/power with a multimeter. That's the only way to go, I believe...

Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Default RE: Interior Light Problem

Thanks for the reply.

I did test the continuity of the switch. It actually tests out just fine. The meter showed I had power to the leads at the car side of the connector. If I jumper the power with a wire all the lights did work.

On the connector GM was nice enough to make it quite easy to remove the pins from the plug. So I switched the good power which was working to the head lights with the bad power which was going to all other lights. As it turns out this caused all but the headlights to work.

By deduction, even though continuity says the switch is good, obviously there is a fault somewhere in it. I have now ordered the new switch. On the old one I cut and spliced the bad wire into the headlight wire. Now I have all of my lights when I turn the switch to full head lights.The problem with this solution is a funny one. When you deactivate the alarm the headlights pop up. At least I can drive at night until the part arrives.