Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

IPOD Interface

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Default IPOD Interface

Me and my wife are going on a long trip soon and I am going to setup the factory stereo with the ‘Peripheral iPod2Car’ for an ipod as follows:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LjkUAsS...mp;I=541ISGM73

Now....., I think the output of the stereo has some wires which sit in the passengers area (near fuse box) ready for a CD changer install (I don’t have a CD changer and hence why I chose the route I have). Does anyone know if this is correct and if so does the supplied wire harness (PXHGM2) attach directly to these or do I need another ‘bridging harness? or worse yet do I need to pull the factory stereo to get at its rear?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Default RE: IPOD Interface

In case anyone was interested I found the following wealth of information:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1117959

I don't have the spare wires in the wheel well so am going to be removing the stereo and using an additional harness. I bought this after getting the main device on e-bay from crutchfiled and got a free guide on removing the stereo which I have correlated with other posts.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Cool man, thanks for the info.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:27 PM

So I finished my installation today and I am pretty pleased. The peripheral device I got of ebay for $115 and I bought the additional harness from Crutchfield for $30 (this made installation extremely easy, plug and play). In addition to the above linked install details I found the additional nuiances/tips for a 2004 C5:

[ul][*]To take the lighter out of the glove box this can be rotated to allow some plastic plugs to come through a keway.[*]The peripheral interface has to be set with all pins off except 3 and 8 which must be on.[*]You don't need to remove the trim under the steering wheel.[*]Remove the heater control unit to give yourself more access. You especialy need this to try and help you get the sea of harnesses out of the way to push the stereo back in.[*]To get the center trim out I found the shift lever in an auto needs to be out of park, I had it in drive.[*]Once you have it all pushed back in an seated check it works. I had dislodged a cable so was glad I did this.[*]There is plenty of space below the heater to mount your peripheral interface box. The vette also allows you to easily route the wiring discretly towards thecenter console.I tucked the excess wire next to the seat in case I decide I want to putthe IPOD in the glove box.[/ul]
I have tested it out and it works throughthe 'aux' button as advertised. The control through the stereo is limited but does work to move forward and back (the reponse to a command is delayed so be patient). You have full control via the IPOD and inputs in this manner are instantaeous. When the car is switched off it turns off the IPOD but keeps charging (for this reason I will disconnect the IPOD as the vette is battery hungry anyway). When you turn the car on it seems to turn the radio off initially. I press aux and get the CD, this is loud, so press aux again quickly or remember to turn your stereo down before you turn it off. I still have CD and radio functions. All in all I'm pretty happy and I think the easiest stereo install I have ever had to do. It took me 3 hrs all in all but I was being very careful as I didn't want to damage my baby![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-23-2007, 11:22 PM

I admire you b777...you seem to be good at these things....I took the cowardly route and took my vette to BestBuys and had them take care of the install.....but having your iPod hooked up to your car is one of the best things you could ever do! Glad to hear you pulled it off!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 PM

Thanks pecemkr, I really enjoy doing stuff myself and like to know it has been done right. I just had a full 30k service on my vette before the warranty expired andit cost $750. When I got it back I checked all fluids. As advertised they had done oil, transmission and brake fluid.It was clear that they had done the bear minimumand nothing more. The coolant clearly hadn't been checked as it was low. Instead of paying them another $120 Iordered the following book and will continue with my own C5 servicing/modifications.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/coc5pepr19.html

I just got my new 5th generation 30GB IPOD and am trying to keep my wife at bay as she would like to exchange it for her 20GB 4 generation model. Women, huh I don't know - lol.

I think the spoiler you have fitted looks pretty cool.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-08-2007, 08:22 AM

The peripheral piece plugs in at the factory XM module on most cars...or Cd changer location on older models. The factory XM module is located between the seats usually behind that fiberglass panel with the corvette symbol on it. in older cars the cd changer wires are located in the back of the car in the well in the middle of the floor as they were mounted to the back wall of that well. in both applications it should be plug and play.
the interface is crappy at best however.
my suggestion is to change your radio and save the factory one. you can change your radio in that car with no modifications to the vehicle or wiring and your sound and ipod interface will be much better. some radios even have blue tooth modules that you can add for your phone at the same time.
if your one of those "I want to keep my car original" or " I like the factory look" people....get over it, the delco bose radio wont last another 3-4 years and you will have to spend absurd money fixing it or you will have to replace it anyway.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 PM

I did consider changing the stereo but couldn't get anywhere near the price I could for this quick IPOD interface. I also didn't fancy moding the car (I believe there isn't an easy swap over although maybe wrong) and the stock stereo detracts thieves.

I do agree on the AC Delco issue. I had practically the same stereo in my truck and it packed up. In this instance I replaced the stereo as no modification was required. However this ended up being pricier than I expected and was a pain in the a$$ as this unit had a databus interface for the power so I had to find an auxillary unless I paid out another $100. Likewise I lost the steering wheel controls (not that the vette has these!) - could have got them back but again at a price.

Wish I had known about the XM module, I hunted high and low (wheel well and trunk especially) for a standard CD changer interface but it was apparent it never came from the factory with this fitted. Is the coupes in the same place? I think your reffering to the convertable.