Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Japanese Imports vs Vettes

Ya, Dude,well said!!!!!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

But, yeh, you won't catch me dead in a Honda.

Yeah, you won't -- I don't think Honda makes hearses.

(Sorry, just could not resist that).

Old 08-10-2006, 02:00 AM

Although I'm not into racing, I love reading about people who do. When a car pulls up and wants to race me, and I know they have a lot less under the hood than I do, I just give them pure attitude and a sideways glance as if to say, "Pleaseee, you don't expect me to lower myself and waste my gas on you and that piece of junk you're driving." [:'(]

Of course, I realize my 350 HP/ A4 tranny is not for racing . . . to be honest, for me it is all about style. I grew up loving Corvettes and now owning one is a dream come true. Corvettes will always exemplify quality, class, and style - not to mention a piece of Americana. But for all you guys who do race, know that you are in my prayers.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

But, yeh, you won't catch me dead in a Honda.

Yeah, you won't -- I don't think Honda makes hearses.

(Sorry, just could not resist that).
Bada ZING, dude!!!! THAT was funny!! LOL

Old 08-10-2006, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: rjensen

Although I'm not into racing, I love reading about people who do. When a car pulls up and wants to race me, and I know they have a lot less under the hood than I do, I just give them pure attitude and a sideways glance as if to say, "Pleaseee, you don't expect me to lower myself and waste my gas on you and that piece of junk you're driving." [:'(]

Of course, I realize my 350 HP/ A4 tranny is not for racing . . . to be honest, for me it is all about style. I grew up loving Corvettes and now owning one is a dream come true. Corvettes will always exemplify quality, class, and style - not to mention a piece of Americana. But for all you guys who do race, know that you are in my prayers.
Same boat here, my friend. Me, I like to ride aroun' slow-like.. give everyone the chance to take in the beauty known as Corvette! Not to mention, you get far fewer tickets this way, too....

Old 08-10-2006, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: rjensen

Here, here! That's exactly the right attitude and approach we should all have when these little 4-bangers start egging us to race. But, of course, sometimes our testosterone gets the better of us (I'm guilty too) and we just can't resist pounding them down. But last night I went out cruising my town and did it real slow-like. It was awesome. I had my top off (Targa style) and I felt like a million bucks!

I had just washed and shined the vette so it was looking goooooood. I say Rita has the right idea!!! Whatayasay guys?

Old 08-10-2006, 03:19 PM

Well, I must admit that I didn't buy my car to cruise. I remember many years ago when a friend bought a huge Cadillac Sedan DeVille. The thing was like a giant pillow and he drove it accordingly - veeeeeery slooooooowly. If was like we had entered a time warp, where everything was moving in slow-motion. That's not me, although I do exercise contraint when there is traffic - no darting in and out, which is sure to attract the law's attention.
However, yesterday, I stopped at the bottom of the hill upon which I live. A Honda was coming from down the street and I had plenty of time to turn onto that street, ahead of him/her. Well, that driver obviously felt that I shouldn't be in front of him/her as he/she accelerated aggressively to pass me out.
I was shocked when I saw this car trying to pass me on a fairly narrow residential street. My pysical reaction, which occured instantly was to step on the gas. Of course, my C5 was in second gear and in the blink of an eye, I was 6 car lengths in front of the Honda.

Sorry, Honda person - don't try to pull stupid moves near my car!

Dave

Old 08-10-2006, 05:36 PM

I know what you ,mean, Dave. I can't tell you how many times some butthead has tried to squeeze me out of the lane I'm trying to pull into. Now, when I'm changing lanes to get to an off ramp, and there isn't much space (especially when approaching a curvy offramp), I've been know to pass the exit and go to the next one. I know if I speed up, which I could easily do, I won't have enough time or space to slow down and safely navigate the ramp, so I do the smart thing and get out of the situation. Make no mistake - at this point, I am grumbling a few choice words. But when on the flats of the freeway, and there is enough jiggle room, I show 'em this girl knows how to drive and how incredibly fast my Vette can accelerate . . . Ha, Ha, I love it. If there is a preconceived idea of Blondes in Corvettes I am more than happy to live/drive up to the image. Honest, Guys, you would be proud of me! But to be honest, I don't want a ticket, so I try not to do these tricks too often, because I know it is only a matter of time.
Stay safe, all - have fun! Keep posting the cool stuff you guys do.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 PM

Horse power aside, I would be willing to say that any souped up import set beside my '04 LaMans Blue coupe, the majority of people will admire the CORVETTE. And in 5 years or 25 years the Vette will still be stylish and the import will be scrap!

...with the possible exception of the Acura NSX......

Old 08-10-2006, 09:17 PM

The poor old NSX. You know, if Honda had put twelve cylinders, 6.4 liters, and 580 HP back there instead of six cylinders, 3.2 liters, and 290 HP, they would have had a line around the block waiting to pay $250,000 for the thing.

They just don't understand. It can be pretty, it can even be fast, but it has to have lots and lots of power to really matter.

Quick Reply: Japanese Imports vs Vettes