Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

looking at a 99 vette but got a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Default looking at a 99 vette but got a couple questions

I'm looking at a 99 vette 67000 miles but I wanted to ask a few questions.

1. It's a red A4, but the rims are black and it has what looks like the Z06 ducts before the rear wheels. Are those options on regular C5's.

2. How do I know each Tire still has the TPMS?

3.The car has Eagle F1-gs tires and these are not runflats correct?

4. The car has no spare tire?

5. I couldn't really test drive it because the I noticed the oil pressure guage was spiked at 80 and the service ABS and service TCS warnings were coming on but from reading through the forum already it seems that the are symptoms of a bad sending unit and a bad battery?

6. The Glass top has a big scratch down it. How much do these run to replace.

7. There is only one ignition key and one fob. How much is it for a duplicate ignition key and fob.

Thanks for all help in advance

Old 09-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Default RE: looking at a 99 vette but got a couple questions

I don't have the answer for all your questions, but I can answer a few of them for you:

1. The rear brake ducts where not a factory option for standard (coupe and convert.) C5's, but are widely available on the after market in both functional (a hole is cut into the car to really allow air to flow through) and the fakes (stuck on with double sided tape).

2. The only way I can think to tell is to drive the vehicle and see if the display is telling you the tire pressure of all four tires (note: you have to be driving 15 mph or more for the TPS to send a reading).

3. Correct, those are not runflats.

4. Corvettes don't come with spare tires, and that is the reason why they have runflats from the factory.

5. I'm not really sure about that one.

6. A new one cost about $1200 from Chevy/GM, but you can get them refurbished for about $600.

7. From the dealership the fob will run you a little over $100 (thats for the fob and the programming) and the key will probably be around $40 if I remember correctly. You can get both from Ebay for a lot less and take them to the dealership to be programmed and cut. Before you buy the key from Ebay you will need to go to the dealership so they can tell you what code your key is so you buy the right one.

Hope this helps you out a little. Good luck with your purchase and if you have any more questions ask away.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:38 PM

I appreciate the replies. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a vette that had been jacked aroung with alot. It's only got 67000 miles.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:28 PM

Do you feel like you are getting a good deal (price wise) on this car?

I just bought a 98 a few weeks back, and still learning about my car. It had 36,000 miles on it and picked it up for about $26,000 (convertible). They had a black 99 convertible right next to it, with 48,000 miles and they were asking $29,000.

It sounds like you are already starting with quite a few problems, you may wish to look around, there are always better deals out there. There is nothing more frustrating than buying when of these Gorgeous cars, and than having it sit in the garage because you can't drive it.

Remember you most likely are buying someone else's problem, and it could be very costly if you have to start making repairs right away.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:46 PM

only 19000 I'm not saying all this is seriously wrong from looking at the forums these are common issues and since I'm buying it from a dealership they are fixing it all before I buy it.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:37 PM

Great
If your getting it from the dealership, than it's GM certified right?

So are they getting you new tires? Fixing the oil pressure gauge? Repairing what is causing the problems with the TCS and ABS lights? Putting a new glass top on? AND getting you another key and fob?
For $19,000??
than I say go for it!

Old 09-03-2006, 04:26 PM

It all comnes down to the price. This car has enough issues that I'd walk away from it, but then I'm a person who tends to spend money to avoid hassles or having to fix someone elses problems. At the right price, this might be worth picking up: it all depends on what is really wrong with it, your willingness to put up with some hassles and work to fix it, and if you can buy it at a price to make it worth your time.

I would not buy it without: a) if an indidivual is selling it, then have an independent mechanic look it over carefully and tell you it is sound, or, b) if buying from a dealer, a 6 month warranty plus a promise to fix all the service light and oil pressure problems first.

If you are going to run the Goodyears that are on it, buy a mini spare from a Camaro (they fit) and just keep it in the trunk. Does not take that much room.

The side vents: check if they are real or just stick on with tape. If real, verify that the vents were installed correctly through the body and into the wheel wells and that there are no water leaks, etc. If skicy tape, consider taking them off unless you really like the look.

As to the oil pressure and and warning light issues, if you were me I would tell the owner you want to take it to a mechanic and have an estimate made to fix all that, theyn negotiate for the price when you get a clean bill of helath for the rest of the car. Ask the mechanic to check carefully for signs the car is or was modified: that it once had a supercharger on it, or that the heads have every been pulled, or the cam replaced, etc. If any signs of that , walk away from it.

they are only asking $19K -- that is below market and so I would think they know there is something else wrong with it. It may be a bargain, but make sure first.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:06 PM

The dealer has already promised (in writing to fix the gauge,traction control, and ABS issues. If I get there on tuesday and It's still wrong I walk or they continue to fix it until it's right.

They aren't replacing the tires or the roof, I got them to toss in a warranty and tire and wheel protection for almost nothing so I'm covered even if something else goes wrong.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 PM

Good plan.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:51 AM

So how much are you getting it for?

Quick Reply: looking at a 99 vette but got a couple questions