Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

ok buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Default ok buy?

i had a 00 mag red c5 back in 00,

i love my gt500, but we took a 00 vert in today.

it's got hud, memory seats, bose, everything, etc..

85k miles, has been repainted completely but carfax is clean, guy claimed paint was a little faded so he went from red to blue, but door jams etc.. don't look bad

driver seat plastic around the bottom is jacked a bit, but overall seems to run good, some aftermarket wheels on it.

they got a buy bid of 7500 from a wholesaler then he bumped to 8k, i told em i'd go $8500. i'm sure it'll need a few things, but that seemed decent to me.

nada retail is 23k,i figured for a toy i'd be ok even if i have to put some a new seat in it and do some routing maintenance like brakes and stuff

that an ok buy you think?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Default RE: ok buy?

I can't see how you can go wrong at that price. Here are some things to look out for:

Column lock failure (steering wheel locks-up): If it's an auto (A4), then the dealership should've removed the mechanism and installed a block-off plate. If it's a 6-speed (MN6), the dealer cannot do the same, so make sure the previous owner installed a Column Lock Bypass (keeps the locking pin in the retracted position).

Leaky differential gaskets: These should have been replaced, as factory seals leaked by 20,000 miles.

Door lock modules: When they fail, arming the car with the remote fails to lock one or both doors. This is a relatively simple installation, but make sure both door locks work.

Fuel gage/sender unit malfunction: Make sure the fuel gage reads accurately when the tank is below half-full. Earlier years had problems.

Oil pressure sender unit. If this fails, the oil pressure gage will show 80 psi. If so, the sender unit needs replacement.

Horn not working when the steering wheel center hub is pressed - bad ground inmy case
That's all I can think of right now.

The horsepower for 97-2000 is 345 with 350 lbs-ft of torque. The 01-04s have 350 HP and 375 lbs-ft (MN6) or 360 lbs-ft (A4s) of torque.

The improvements in 2001 are listed here:
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2001/index.htm

I believe in 2000, an airbag switch was added so that you can have a kid ride in the passenger seat. Without this switch, the airbag could cause serious injury to young children. Also, at some point, active handling and HUD (heads up display) was added (maybe in 2000?).

Old 02-03-2008, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Dave01

I can't see how you can go wrong at that price. Here are some things to look out for:

Column lock failure (steering wheel locks-up): If it's an auto (A4), then the dealership should've removed the mechanism and installed a block-off plate. If it's a 6-speed (MN6), the dealer cannot do the same, so make sure the previous owner installed a Column Lock Bypass (keeps the locking pin in the retracted position).

Leaky differential gaskets: These should have been replaced, as factory seals leaked by 20,000 miles.

Door lock modules: When they fail, arming the car with the remote fails to lock one or both doors. This is a relatively simple installation, but make sure both door locks work.

Fuel gage/sender unit malfunction: Make sure the fuel gage reads accurately when the tank is below half-full. Earlier years had problems.

Oil pressure sender unit. If this fails, the oil pressure gage will show 80 psi. If so, the sender unit needs replacement.

Horn not working when the steering wheel center hub is pressed - bad ground inmy case
That's all I can think of right now.

The horsepower for 97-2000 is 345 with 350 lbs-ft of torque. The 01-04s have 350 HP and 375 lbs-ft (MN6) or 360 lbs-ft (A4s) of torque.

The improvements in 2001 are listed here:
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2001/index.htm

I believe in 2000, an airbag switch was added so that you can have a kid ride in the passenger seat. Without this switch, the airbag could cause serious injury to young children. Also, at some point, active handling and HUD (heads up display) was added (maybe in 2000?).
the oil pressure sender is bad, just had that replaced, brakes, struts and shocks all the way around, tensioners and belts and new plugs, going back to stock wheel size with some nittos in the front and drag radials in the rear.

the only thing the guy said was showing was an idle miss, he said there had been a code about an idle air relearn or something. he said you'd get like 100 misses in 20 minutes, since changing the plugs, it's now down to 20 after idling for 20 minutes.

he said the car isn't showing any miss at normal driving or at wot, he said from talkin to his guy at chevy the computer may need a reflash or something.

any input there?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 PM

I think ALL C5s miss slightly at idle. My 01 has done that since new and I've read that this is common to all LS1s.