Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Public Car Washes:

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Default Public Car Washes:

Does anybody drive their 'vettes through Public Car Washes ?? Is it safe? Do you have to turn the mirrors inward? Or how about the antenna?
ANY feedback greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Default RE: Public Car Washes:

If depends what type. The type with rails or pipe guides I tend to stay away from in the 'vette, particularly with the car lowered a bit, and headers, etc.--the Porsche has no problem with them, though. I do sometimes go to a "Laser" car wash -- the floor is just plain concrete like in my garage. These do a very good job on the car but not on the wheels -- brake dust still clings to some crevices, etc.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:28 PM

I went through one with the rails and the roller that pushes the car. I got hung up on the rail at a transition point. A cross member under the car got bent. I will NEVER again drive my vette through an automatic wash.

Some car washes re-use the water. They take the drain water from the rinse end and use it in the wash end. Some just keep re-using the wash water. Plus the brushes are somewhat abusive. They can harbor grit from the previous vehicle that can scratch your car's paint. I did some work for a car wash one time. You would be surprised at the number of antennas that get ripped off. I don't want anything strong enough to rip off a car antenna touching my vette.

If you feel that you must use one, then pick the ones that you drive into and sit while the machine moves around you. These are less likely to cause damage. Better yet, if you are just going in to get the dust off, then use the ones where you get out and use the wand. You have to be real careful with these too. I've had one that the pressure was turned up so high that it removed paint. No BS. I've also found that most use whatever water they get. Our water around here is very hard. Some washes will leave big mineral spots that have to be scrubbed off by hand.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:47 AM

The Touchless Car Washes are one of the worst. Theyuse a solution that will scratch your windows; it will acutally leave etch marks in the glass andGM has a service bulletin out on this.

I never go to any car wash with my vette.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:59 AM

I have never once taken mine through and automatic car wash. I love getting out and either doing it in my driveway or driving over to the car washes that are do it yourself.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:02 AM

ORIGINAL: riley

I've also found that most use whatever water they get. Our water around here is very hard. Some washes will leave big mineral spots that have to be scrubbed off by hand.

Our water is also hard butat the do it yourself type car washesthey have a "spotless rinse" which issoftened water and works very well.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

I have never once taken mine through and automatic car wash. I love getting out and either doing it in my driveway or driving over to the car washes that are do it yourself.
I do, too! [sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 02-20-2007, 02:30 AM

NEVER! I've seen too many "car wash swirls" to ever trust one. In fact, I even have a grit-isolator for my wash bucket. It prevents dirt that settles to the bottom from getting back on the wash towel. I also use a leaf blower to dry off the car - neighbors think I'm nuts!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:25 AM

It's against the law to wash your car with a garden-hose in my town (Richardson, TX) due to water restrictions, so I just take it down to the local car wash. I bring all of my own supplies though (soap, bucket, etc) and it comes out fairly well. All I use the car wash for is the water. If I could hook up my mr clean to it, I would do that, too, but they don't give me hose attachments at the car wash ;-) Pisses people off that are waiting in line to get in (have to wait an hour for some jerk with his Vette to hand wash his car).

Leaf blower is a pretty good idea, actually. I just use a chamois.

Tim

Old 02-21-2007, 02:55 AM

Yeah, I like the leaf blower idea as well.

Quick Reply: Public Car Washes: