Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

question on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Default question on exhaust

I just got my 97 and it's bone stock. I love it, and it's the most powerful car I've owned. However, I wish I could hear it. It's too darn quiet. Does anyone have suggestions on exhaust systems? I was looking at Corsa pace car edition with shark cut tips. They have a recording of it at http://www.corsaperf.com/flashc5.htm
That's pretty close to the sound that I'm wanting. Also, if anyone has this setup...can I just buy the mufflers and tips and pipe it myself or will they only sell me the whole system, I don't really want to spend $1300+
Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Default RE: question on exhaust

Many of us here prefer the sound of Borla Stingers. Check out the sound clips at http://thx2.net/exhaust.htm

Dave

Old 11-15-2006, 05:42 PM

I've heard several of Borla's systems and they are nice. I did listen to that one as well, it just sounds too tame and everyday to me. I like the corsa system because it seems to scream "look over here!" to me where Borla's systems tend to make a little noise and hope someone notices. I'm thinking about Borla for the truck though.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:49 PM

Well
I definately felt the same way as you regarding the sound. Here we have this true american muscle car, and you can't hear it.
It was the first thing I did, and I decided to go with the Borlas, and I promise you it definately does not "sound too tame for everyday".
It absolutely roars when you get on it.

I have heard the Corsa system, other than the sound clip, and it's equal in comparison to the Borlas as far as i can tell. Very little difference in the sound.
I also change my X pipe, and this will definately make a difference in the sound also. In fact the X pipe was an after thought for me, and once it was installed the sound was much deeper.
as for buying the system, plan on purchasing it as a unit, ready to install. With the price of steel these days i would get it sooner than later.
Remember now that you own a Vette, most everything you buy will be much higher, we like to call it the "Corvette tax".

Old 11-15-2006, 11:17 PM

Stupid question, I know, but I got to anyways. Does the numer of tips on the Borla have any impact on the sound?

Also, I'm a teenager, and we're in the market for a good 'Vette for around $20K, maybe a tad higher, and I'm upgrading from a 2000 SS Camaro. I like real loud, I mean real loud, and I'm torn between Loudmouth and Borla for my future Corvette(just planning ahead). I want loud without sacrificing quality. Just wondering if anyone has Loundmouth on their car. I know most of the people on the forum prefer Borla, but, no offense, ya'll are just a lot older than me, and ya'll like more tamed sound, i assume, because that's how my Daddy is. Anyway, input is appreciated as always, Thanks.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:42 AM

Yeah, the "Corvette tax" has become very aparent to me just looking through Eckler's. I can't believe how much a set of door sil accents are. Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to pony up the cash if I wanna play ehh. I think I'm also going to look up Loudmouth, I hadn't thought about them, thanks flyboy.

Old 11-18-2006, 04:13 AM

Borla has my vote. I'm trying to find someone...or just wait until I get one myself, that has a high quality video cam to take some high quality sounds clips of my setup for others to know what it sounds like. I've had numerous compliments when I'm at the track that I have the best sounding car out there.....2 other vette guys are now in the process this winter to get the exact setup I have to make theirs sound like mine That is a good question....not sure if the 4 versus 2 tips makes a difference or not.....I'll leave that answer to the "engineer and/or mechanic" types.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:10 PM

I got a few questions for you Tanker. What is your setup? Also, when you car is sitting there idling, does it really rumble, or can you barely tell it's running? And when you're just cruising around town, can you hear it inside the car and is it loud to everyone else when you're just everyday driving? Because that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 PM

I love my Corsa's, they have no drone at any speed or at any RPM, I had B&B Bullets before Corsa's and they were loud and had really bad drone, Here is a video clip of my Corsa'a (if it works)

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=MVI_2277.flv

Old 12-01-2006, 11:03 AM

Well that's the thing, I want a drone. I want loud. I want quality yet I want to be noticed. I want to hear it in the cabin, and I want it to hurt my ears on the outside. Just my opinion though.

Quick Reply: question on exhaust