Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

to sc or not ?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Default to sc or not ?????

hey guys, I"ve got a ??? for you.....I"ve got a 2000 C5 hardtop.....basically stock except for the easy things, you know the exhaust and a cold air intake, what I need to know is will adding a procharger or equilivant make it not a daily driver and a maintaince money pit..... I love to "drive my toy" and don't consider how I drive it abusive at all....I like to slide around corners and on occasion like to run from light to light with the younger kids with their bad *** rice burners...but will I need to do alot more mods to the engine or will it handle the supercharger as long as I don't boost it to much with smaller pulleys and what -not....any info would be appreciated

Old 10-14-2007, 09:36 PM
cwb
Default RE: to sc or not ?????

Welcome into the boards there h/t...

Ask 'charged' what he thinks of blowers...

https://www.corvetteforums.com/m_44376/tm.htm

Old 10-14-2007, 10:24 PM

hey guys, also are they c.a.r.b. certified for Cali?????

Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: hardtop

How sad it is that this is usually the first question asked by us living in California...it makes me sick...[:'(]

Old 10-15-2007, 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: pewter2000

ORIGINAL: hardtop

How sad it is that this is usually the first question asked by us living in California...it makes me sick...[:'(]
I've got a feeling that before long, every state is going be just as tough as California is on emissions. Especially if Al Gore has his way.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 PM

Well I have a 2000 c5 also. From my experience my car is very streetable as long as the installation and tuneis done properly. I run 7.5 psi on a vortech blower and intercooler.It has a stock lower end.Its gets 31mpg. I still use my run flats so I can't get traction to bust anything in the rear and tranny.The performance is awesome too!The only thing that always concerns me is heating issues. I recommend oilcooler, radiater, and a blower hood to pull out the heat. Of course you'll have an intercooler on or else you will have bad heating issues! If you do all of these with a mild tune. You will have no heating issues and still reliable. I estimate you will have475 rwhp with your exhaust. Do you have a stock manifold or a header?

Beware.... any more juice and you will start having problems. If you read the other threads I think some suggested after 500rwhp you'll start having issues. I started getting an oil leak on my front seal after I went over the 500rwhp mark. I'm sure the more experienced guys on the forumwill have more suggestions for you to ensure reliability. Good luck and take my advice....Supercharge it!!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM

hey oliwa22, the manifolds are stock....could probably only run shorties in Cali. and would probably not add much as far as hp, maybe 10 at the most.....I just want a little something-something like a sc....I think it would be the cheapest hp to add as long as not to many other mods needed

Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 PM

by the way guys I'm also "whytry" on the forums....I couldn't remember my password when I logged on from home so started a new one.....making chicken soup out of chicken sh?%$#

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM

actually also "hardtop".....not that good at the computer