Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

service active handling

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Default service active handling

Hello,i,m new to the forum(ITS GREAT) and have a question.I have a 01 vette and my message center is telling me to service active handling soon.I talked to a chevy service dealer and they are not up to speed on how to service this problem.ANY ANSWERS?

Old 08-22-2006, 05:17 AM
Default RE: service active handling

Once since buying my car has that message flashed up on the screen. I was driving with active handling off and it just flashed up out of no where. I restarted the car and it hasen't came up since. Is yours comming up everytime you start your car or drive your car?

Old 08-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Does it say service active handling SOON? -- does it actually say "soon?" or just give a warning about the active handling? If it says "Soon" I do not know what to advise: I have never seen that but to my knowledge there is nothing in the active handling to "service" unless it fails, then you'd need to fix it "Now!."

Sometimes, for reasons I have never figured out, the active handling will give a warning message after start up that it is "warming up" and not yet working, and this can last for several minutes. It always eventually says it has warmed up and the warning goes away.

In addition, on cars where a SC has been installed, sometimes the wire harness leading to the drive-by-wire throttle body control (the set of about, oh, I think six wires, leading into the passenger's side clip on the throttle body) has had to be cut and and lengthened so it is long enough to relocate around the SCr plumping, etc. On some cars, the connections of these new wires are not solid (particularly if crimp on connectors were used -- crimp connectors may be fine for wires powering lights, etc., but crimp on connectors are not good enough for control wiring splices!!) and the lengthened wires do not transmit the signal from the throttle pedal well: if this happens bad things happen: the ECM receives a copy of the throttle-pedal reading directly the throttle pedal and uses that to determine what ignition, fuel, and other signals to send out to control those aspects of the engine, while doing all that, it is also reading another "copy" of the throttle pedal's signal, coming back from the throttle body, which is essentially the thorttle body saying "I see it, too, and I'm doing exactly what you expect and have set the ignition and fuel for, so all is okay!!!": if these control wires have even the least problem with the crimps in the spliced wires, the two throttle pedal readings the ECM sees to not match perfectly, and it goes berserk, evoking either low-power mode, or a warning that the active handling is not working, or both. In such cases, a dealer or mechanic with the serivce manual will follow the recommended procedure and quickly determine the throttle pedal reostat is bad, and replace the whole throttle pedal assemble (about $225). this will not fix the problem. The only thing needed is to remove all crimp on connections in the elgnthed throttle control wiring and solder in the new wires solid, with resin core, (electrical) not acid core (metal work), solder, then tape or heatshrink eahc over for protection. This seems to always fix the problem.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:01 AM

The message does not come on right away.It usually takes about 20 minutes.Sometimes when I stop and turn off the car and then start it again it will go off.Then the message comes back on again when I get going.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:27 PM

It could be a number of things, but if I were diagnosing it I would start by looking for a marginally bad wheel position or other sensor - one that heats up and no longer works well after 20 minutes, etc. (Actually, first I would download any ECM or BCM codes and check the service manual, but . . . ).

If the message says "Soon" then take it in when you can, but you know as well as any of us that problems that act like this -- only occuring under some situations, are difficult for dealers to diagnose.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 PM

well i dont actually drive a vette but on my friend's 02 vette.. His ABS, TCS, and Act. Handling would kick off.. we pulled the codes on it (after reading about how to on the internet) and the Chevy dealership (stealership) he took it to finally fixed it on the 3rd try.. it was actually the Wheel Speed Sensor Harness (but we were getting the Wheel Speed Sensor code). He took a copy of the paper and told them what to fix and they finally did it. i think his code was like C 1225 or something in that range.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:56 PM

I also have an '01 Vette which I bought new. I have had it to the dealer 6 times in the 5 years I've owned it trying to "service my active handling", They have reprogramed and it came back. They downloaded and reprogramed again!! Finally about 3 weeks ago they said that it was the steering wheel speed sensor. They proclaimed that it was fixed and it was until today. I started my car and had NO electrical. No radio or air. I moved my car out of the parking space & went about 100 yards in the parking lot when the engine stopped but I still had the key on. Before I could turn the key off, everything (except the engine) came on (radio, air) along with the familar "service active handling". Except this time I had a new message - "service traction control". Now the dealer wants to take the car for about a week. I'm ready trade out of this car!
[:@][:@][:@]

Old 08-24-2006, 12:12 AM

I guess most of vettes having same problem. I have same problem with " ABS service" and "service active handling". But once I turn off key it goes away, but it comes back soon.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:20 AM

Yeah.. in the beginning, mine would go for months without giving me the dreaded "service active handling". As the years (and dealer "reprograming") went on, it would come on just about every time I drove the car. I'm really disappointed...I thought they might have finally fixed it.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:13 PM

We have had the same problem with our 2001 vette we bought our vette june 17 2006 we have had our vette back to the dealership 4 times and the last time they had our vette for a week and they even took our vette to a chevy dealership and they said that it was our tires that were worn they said they put a new set from a 06 vette and the problem was fixed so this week we are going to try new tires kind of skeptical the gm dealership said they contacted bowling green ky and talked to a engineer and this is what he asked what was the tire tred like myself i thought our tires were in good shape... I will keep you posted i will be very mad if this doesn't fix the problem

If we still get this problem i am going to contact a lawyer to see what can be done with the dealership we bought the car from to see if they can be made to take the car back...

[:@][:@][:@]

Not to happy with C5 so far

Didn't think with getting a high end car that we would be having such problems....

Quick Reply: service active handling