Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Are short trips hard on the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Default Are short trips hard on the engine?

Hi Everyone,
I live close to my place of employment and some days I just travel back and forth to work, approx. 2 miles round trip. I'm wondering if that is hard on my engine? Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Default RE: Are short trips hard on the engine?

Yeah, its hard in this sense: wear on an engine is largely proportional to the number of starts, because 90% of the wear occurs during those first five seconds before the starting engine builds up full oil pressure: so your engine will wear about as much as if you drove 20 miles each way each day.

You might look into getting something called an Accusump installed. It is a device that assures you have full oil pressure from the instant you hit the starter.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:23 AM

Thanks, Lee!
Do you know where I can get an Accusump and where I should go to get something like that installed? I am still under the new car warranty - will this void it?

Also, I noticed the black stained glass windows on my vette look kind of blotchy when you see them in a certain light and at a certain angle. It sorta looks like the car was somewhere like Phoenix, where the temps are very hot - but that is just my speculating. I have no idea what would cause this to happen to the glass. It is most noticeable on the rear window. Do you have any ideas on this? Thanks again for sharing your expertise. Rita

Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 AM

Rita,

You oil needs to reach a certain temp for a minimum amount of time. If it doesn't, the water that condenses in the oil will not burn off and sludge is often the result. Your oil temp should get beyond 180F and preferably, 200F on your way to work. If it does not (often enough), the algorythm that determines oil life should shorten it dramatically.
Therefore, you should check your "oil life remaining" number periodically and NEVER go beyond one year before changing your oil.

Regarding your window: It sounds like the tinting film is pulling away from the window. You may have to have it removed and/or replaced. I've seen bubbling of tinted film on many vehicles and yes, it looks ugly, IMO.

Dave

Old 08-10-2006, 08:51 AM

Dave has a point, although I would recommend that every vette owner just change oil every 3000 miles despite all the advice that you can go longer, and not worrying about if water and contaminants are getting into the engine, period. In your case I would definately recommend changing the oil often, twice a year in fact, no matter what the car computer says.

I'll try to find some Accusump info. I am having one installed on my vette (if they can find room under the hood) later this summer, I'll ask the shop.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:34 PM

Lee,

One of the regular posters in another Corvetteforum was an engineer who was directly involved with the developement of the C5. He explained often that the algorythm that GM created for oil life determination was based upon extensive tests using Mobil 1 5W-30 oil. According to this engineer, not only is is perfectly safe to use the D.I.C. oil life number as a guide, but in fact, this number is somewhat conservative. Many C5 owners have proven this "guide" to be accurate, as oil analysis after oil analysis have shown that contaminants in the oil taken from C5s after the allowed period was well within limits recommended by the oil analysis labs, such as Blackstone.
I change my oil once per year (5500 miles) with the oil life monitor showing 20% remaining life. In Rita's case, the monitor may very well show a low remaining percentage at 3000 miles, but if it doesn't and she changes early, it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

Dave

Old 08-10-2006, 07:30 PM

Thanks Lee & Dave for all this info. I had a feeling it couldn't be too good to fire up this big beautiful engine for such a short trip. I work on a university and the students come back next week, so I wasn't planning on driving my Vette on campus once that they were back, AS IT WILL NO LONGER BE SAFE!!!! I will watch my oil life and not use my Vette for short trips. I'll just load my dogs in the 4Runner for the short runs.

As far as my windows, you can only see it at an angle and in certain lighting. I'll wait, since it is not bad at all. Once again, it is the perfectionist in me.

Thanks again - you're the best.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 PM

I understand about the oil monitor, but I have never regetted being ultra conservative with oil. I do know the oil monitor on a Cadillac I had for my wife back a few years ago was pure crap - I finally decided it was in fantasy land.

In addition, I may be different because we don't waste the oil, we pour what comes out of the vette into an old Ford truck (the "Danger Ranger") and run that in it for another 3,000 miles on the vette and its next oil change, whatever that works out to on the truck.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:15 AM

Hi Dave, Hope you don't mind one more quick question.
Although I was driving it to work (2 miles round trip) I was taking it out at night for a 20, 30, or 40 mile ride. Do you think the longer evening ride compensated for the short trip earlier in the day? I have only been taking it to work the last week and a half, so hopefully that wasn't enough to allow too much sludge to form. Thanks in advance. I greatly appreciate all your help. Rita

p.s. Good luck with your 16 yr. old, soon-to-be-driving son.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:50 AM

Well, Lee, you didn't mention that in your initial replies.......

Rita, that would certainly help, since the longest non-use gap is generally overnight. That's when most of the condensation occurs. I knew a guy who drove only a couple of miles (at most) to work everyday in his Toyota 4Runner (for many years). After 5 years or so, his engine was so full of sludge, he sold the vehicle for $3000, just to get rid of it. He paid $30,000 for it when he bought it new. This could've been prevented, had he change his oil more frequently. Of course, the 4Runners had no oil life monitors back then. I'll bet they do, now!

My son is learning in my Mazda (MX6 GT-Turbo), but eventually, I'd like to get him a car with a manual tranny. Besides, my Mazda has no air bags and I'd feel nervous if he drives it everyday, once he gets his license.

Quick Reply: Are short trips hard on the engine?