Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

squeaky breaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Default squeaky breaks

I am new to the Corvette Forum and I have an issue with squeaky breaks. My '04 C5 has less than 12.000 miles on it and the breaks have squeaked since the first month I got it. I have had it back to the dealer several times and even had the break pads replaced, but the breaks will not stop squeaking. The dealer tells me this is normal, but for the life of me this doesn't seem normal! Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Administrator
Default RE: squeaky breaks

have they done anything with the rotors? the only thing i can suggest is buying a high end performance pad...

Old 06-09-2005, 05:19 PM

Thanks Patrick, the rotors were my next step. It will take a bit more complaining to get the dealer to work on the rotors. It just makes me crazy when the dealer tells me it is normal for my corvette to have squeaky breaks.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Administrator

ive not heard that before...and for what the vette costs, i would think that issues like that would be ironed out in the testing stages

Old 06-17-2005, 03:43 PM

Russel....this is easy to solve. Get ceramic pads. with no noise and no dusting. Stop as well as stock but NOT FOR RACING. You can get them quickly at gmpartsdirect.com or any auto parts store.[sm=hiya.gif]

Old 06-27-2005, 02:56 PM

Thanks Gorillavette I will have to try the ceramic pads. I will let you know how they work out.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Administrator

i had assumed that the vette came with ceramic pads!

Old 06-28-2005, 02:58 AM

[sm=exactly.gif] correct the vette comes factory with ceramic pads, just make sure they havent been replaced with non ceramic ones. the factory rotors are prone to rusting and glazing, if its under warranty, tell them to be sure and score the rotors and pads, after resurfacing. a far more expensive was of solving this but increasing your braking power is to upgrade to larger slotted rotors[sm=bling.gif] a litte over a grand for the set but well worth it plus they look better.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:22 AM

My 04 has done the same thing since new. Is there a tsb or anything on this? I avoid the dealer when possible so what would I have to do? Have the rotors turned or could I rough them up with sand paper to remove the glazing?

Chris

Old 07-04-2005, 05:27 PM

You can just score them up yourself, just remove the calipers and pads, sandpaper works well on the pads. i found that a scribe works better on the rotors, just make angled scribes starting from the middle out, angled towards the front of the vehicle. if you dont have a scribe the corner of a stright slotted ( flat head) screwdriver works well.

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: squeaky breaks