Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Stearing Column Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Default RE: Stearing Column Lock Problem

It is my understanding from the local vette club guys that the dealership is not responsible for the recall as of yesterday 2-29-08. If you have not gotten the service bulletin taken care of I am afraid you won't get anywhere with the dealers.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 AM

I have not had the chance to visit with my dealer in person yet. When I talked to the service manager by phone he understood I could not get the car to him before April as it is put away for the winter.
He stated that he thought GM would take care of what had to be done to satisfy the updated bullatin.
I will go to the dealership this coming week to read the latest bullatin and talk further.
I will keep all posted with what I come up with.

Thanks for your input.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Default RE: Stearing Column Lock Problem - Update

I talked, in person, to my dealership todayin regards to the Stearing Lock Problem and this is the result.

He tried to assure me that the origional Recall ( Service Bulletin 04006 ) for this problem dating back to 2004 fixed the problem. When I asked him if the problem was fixed whywere there additional bulletins issued after the recall.
As he was busy and did not want further discussion he gave me the telephone number of GM Customer service.
The number he gave me 1-800-CHEVUSA turned out to be incorrect buta nice Gal transferred me to the correct technical support person.

His response to my question was as follows:

Bulliten 04006 was for the origional Recall specifying certain VIN numbers.
Bulliten 04006-A was issued and was again VIN specific- years 1997 thru 2000 - no new modifications.
Bulliten 04006-B was issued and was again VIN specific- years 2000 thru 2004 - no new modifications.
Bulliten 04006-C was an update to previous Bullitens including all C5 Series cars - no new modifications.

He stated that the "fix" ( computermodification- fuel shut off)as required by origional Recall was never changed or modified in the additional Bullitens thus no further recalls. He further stated that if GM had evedence that cars were coming back with the same problem after the origional "fix" with the same locking complaint, and they had to fix again, GMwould berequired to have another Recall. Therewere no additional Recalls.

He understood my concerns and heard me out in regards to many of your comments and your fixes.
It was evedent he had never incountered these questions before.

In concluding our conversation he gave me his phone number and extention and said he would do more research if I had more specifics for him to look into.
He also stated that, although GM guarenteed the Recall fix for a year, if the car came back with the same problem that GM would fix at there cost.

Guys, I still dont know what to make of this issue. I have read a lot about this issue in this forum and I trust your knowledge from your experiances. It seams strange that GM has no knowledge of this issue beyond the origional Recall.

I will keep my AAA number handy in my cell phone contacts and hope for the best.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: spoiler

riley / tankerpoloto1

I talked to my dealership today who did more research in regards to this question of Stearing Lock.
You are both correct in pointing out that the origional recall fix does not solve the locking problem in all cases.
The operative words, however, is "in all cases".
My dealership acknowlages that there is another "fix" bulletin that goes into play if a Corvette comes back with the same problem after the origional recall fix.

Interesting to note this bulletin is not in a form of a new recall.

This bulletin is 20 pages long. I have been envited to read this bulletin at the dealership and make copies. I will do so for future referance.
It appears the new "fix" is quite extensive.
In all fairness to GM I observe the following:
1) I am told that with the origional fix very few-none at this dealership-have come back with the same problem.And they state they havedonequite a few over the years.
2) The new fix, although extensive, maintains the origional locking security integraty when car is shut off. The aftermarket fix does not.
3) Warranty remains in tact. ( I carry an extended warrenty and will continue to do so on my 2004)
4)GM will pay for the new modification regardless of the age of the care.

Based on the above I will take my chanses and not modify me 2004. The worst that can happen is I have to call AAA for a flat bed--- only once!!

It is interesting to me to note that GM knew about this problem early on with the C5 Series and chose not to correct this problem thru the final 2004 car.

Hey Riley, do you have a link to that info or some way for me to get it? I had to take my car in because the engine would kill if I tried to give it any gas or move the car. They charged me about 650 to fix the steering column lock and said the recall fix had already been done so I had to pay for it. I wonder if I should have been covered?