Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Street racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Default Street racing

I think all the races I have been in since getting my vette were caused by someone engaging me. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't know if its my age or what. I could be mature about it and ignore them but when some chump in an STI or EVO fronts thinkin they are messing with a stock vette I just can't help but blow the doors off their car.

2 month list of cars engaging me to race.

STI - not even close
STI - kept up with me till around 45 mph
EVO -on the highway already going 65 lol he had 0 chance. I was in 2nd gear he must have been in 4th already lol, but he did do a nice ricer fly by after I had put 3 car lengths between us and slowed down.
RSX - wtf was this guy thinking ?!?
Newer Camaro ss modded 400 + hp at the wheels- I beat him and he had to talk to me after because my vette looks stock and I lit him up. Before we raced he had his friend hangin out his window talking crap and reving his loud exhaust. Only race my girly has been in the car for, usually when shes in the car I ignore people trying to race because its not fair for her if something goes wrong and we wreck.
05 or 06 Mustang GT today - I just tried to pass him and he gunned it, I gunned it and he was quickly behind me. He didn't try to pass me up till when I turned off the road.
New gen eclipse with his girly in the car again just trying to pass him and he gunned it- another wtf was he thinking?!?! I pulled away so fast from him I would slow down and wave out my window everytime he got up next to me then accelerate again. Nice ricer fly by though after I slowed down.
99 bmw m3- going over to a friends house already going 40 mph just trying to pass him. He gunned it when I got up next to him I was in 2nd gear and he was quickly behind me. The stop light up ahead of us turned red and he quickly got over into the left turn lane. Don't know if he didn't want to go again or if he was just turning off.

I would just like to know if anyone else has this problem of much slower cars trying to race you.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Default RE: Street racing

I beleive it is one of the curses of owning a vette. Not a day goes by that someone has to test their metal. Even my wife, who hates my car, has mentioned that she has noticed that people hate being behind me. They pass me on the freeway then slow down. Every teenage kid with a can on their Honda has two see who the faster gun is.

As for the mature part; I've owned nothing but a vette for 15 years now and I am 40 years old. Everyone that knows me would say I am very mellow. When a punk with a body kit on their import tries to step up I turn 18 again. I think it's a natural thing, don't fight it. Besides, with a car like yours why even try??

Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 PM

All the time. It happens. When you are the fastest gun in town everyone wants to take a shot at you.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:01 PM

Except for my Borla Stinger dual exhaust pipes, my '04 coupe with an A4 tranny is stock. I know I'm not the fastest car out there, but I am way faster than most with 350+ HP, 5.7L.
I, too, have been challenged by the most absurd opponents. Guess it is because they see a really HOT looking car and woman driving. When my husbands with me, I just ignore them; and when I'm feeling really responsible, I ignore them; but sometimes, you just have to show 'em whom they are messing with. Of course, I always make sure it is a race I can win and if I think can't win, I ignore them.

I know, not very mature. I really think street racing is dangerous and stupid, since there is rarely enough room and a high probability of involving another car or a pedestrian. Just typing this makes me want to start ignoring all of them.

Stay safe and have fun.
RJ

Old 09-15-2006, 04:48 PM

I agree also.
It seems like we are targets out there, and people feel they have to continually tempt us. At first it was a little irratating, but now I Love it. I have never initiated a confrontation yet, but i find that there is always some Idiot right up my A$$. Or flying by, than giving that look! and while they are still looking I punch it and fly by them.

The jealous reactions they have must make them stop thinking with there brain, and all the energy must go to their foot, cause i swear i don't know what some of them are thinking.

Oh I know there are cars much faster out there than mine, but these are normally NOT the ones that want the challenge.

Ahhhh the fun of owning a Vette.
Why did I wait so Long [sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 09-15-2006, 05:33 PM

Surprisingly, few people challenge me - well, maybe they do and I don't even notice. It could be my four 3.5-inch diameter exhaust tips and agressive Borla Stinger sound, or the fact that I've lowered my car by about one inch.....

I remember when I had my 68 (ZZ3 crate engine installed). Some guy in a newer Ford Lightning truck took me on some tight, winding corners. Unfortunately for him, we both headed onto an uphill entrance ramp to the highway and my 3000-lb 68 left him so far behind, it wasnt funny. Now that I am NOT using runflats, I am much more confident on the twisties than I was when I had the OEM runflats and when I had my 68 (was not a slalom car by any stretch of the imagination).

Old 09-15-2006, 06:15 PM

I hear you loud and clear! Owning a vette is soooo much fun and I wish I had bought one sooner.

but i find that there is always some Idiot right up my A$$
Now, for me they are hanging on my side just egging me on. I take about so much of that and then decide to put an end to the rudeness by flooring it and leaving them in the dust. Oh man, what a rush - it always makes my temperature rise. Chalk one up for the Girls!

Old 09-15-2006, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: rjensen

I hear you loud and clear! Owning a vette is soooo much fun and I wish I had bought one sooner.

but i find that there is always some Idiot right up my A$$
Now, for me they are hanging on my side just egging me on. I take about so much of that and then decide to put an end to the rudeness by flooring it and leaving them in the dust. Oh man, what a rush - it always makes my temperature rise. Chalk one up for the Girls!
Since getting my vette I have been challenged a whole lot. Some I ignore...most I respond by having them submit to the power of the vette! I'm close to stock too but even I can blow most of these clowns away. However, not a race goes by without me thinking of the tragedy that can occur if something goes wrong. Hence, I find that owning a vette can be great fun.....but how I decide to use my vette may confirm that while I may be fast.....I am not inmortal. May that day never come!

Old 09-16-2006, 01:22 AM

.....I am not inmortal. May that day never come!

AMEN!!

Old 09-16-2006, 02:30 AM

I Hear Ya, we have to keep these babies looking perfect!!

Quick Reply: Street racing