Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Tail and dash lights not working...

Old 08-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Default Tail and dash lights not working...

I have a 99 hard top. The dash lights and tail lights stopped working. Took it to the dealer. They replaced the multi-switch.

Less than 24 hours later, I once again have no tail or dash lights. And now my cruise control doesn't work either. I noticed the tail and dash lights stopped working after I used the cruise control. (But rarely use the cruise, so that had nothing to do with the switch going out the first time. )

And even more interesting than THAT - is the messages from god across the LED telling me to service the ABS, service traction control thing, and something else that escapes me right now. If I immediately turn off the engine, clear the car, and re-start it, these little suggestions go away.

This is not my first go-round with the LED messages, either. As soon as the car went off warranty[:@], the same messages would pop up every time the passenger door was opened - but only if the car was on. As soon as I'd park the car, and go to start it again, it wouldn't start and would have to be jumped. ( THAT was fun...especially in the rain, but I digress....) That took several days to trace, but it was actually a short in the passenger side door.

The dealer is nice enough to provide a rental while they figure out where they went wrong, but with my luck they'll make me drive a Malibu....ugh. I'm getting cranky just thinking about it....

So now I'm pissed and puzzled. Has anyone ever had anything like this go on with their car???

Old 08-26-2005, 03:35 AM
Default RE: Tail and dash lights not working...

Can you please tell me after your problem fixed. I think I got same problem here. Not onlyyou.. i have to stop turn off engine & start again to return tail lamp working condition... And ABS trac light ..

Old 08-26-2005, 04:47 AM

You describe multiple problems, after reviewing the service manual the only component common to all problems is the BCM. just a sugestion. i also had the service traction control problem and after countless times of being told to fill the brake fluid res, i filally took matters into my own hanfs new bcm and havent had a problem since.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:06 AM

It was the multi switch for the lights, they replaced it again - I told them the cruise made the lights go kaput and they looked at me like I was outta my mind, but they fixed it again. The led messages are still coming across to service this and service that...same crap as when I had the short in the passenger door, but at least I don't have to jump the damn thing. I'm taking it back...AGAIN.

This is a quirky little vehicle, and it's a good thing it still takes my breath away, or I'd sack the sucker. I only had the car for about a year when the battery leaked acid all over the computer and it went nuts...started accelerating and decelerating on it's own while I was driving it, ran some messages across the led thing that looked like calculus or trig...then told me it was losing power and it was going to shut down...and it did, too...with me in it. Couldn't get out cuz the electric shut itself down and the windows and doors didn't work... THAT was fun...

Ah, yes...the joys of a vette...

Oh - not to sound stupid or anything, but what's a BCM?