Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Default Tires

Ok, so a while back I had one tire sensor stop working, it has been reading "XXX" for a while now, (two or three months?)but i've been gradually getting to that point where i will need new tires, and just thought i'd replace it at that time....well, justa week or so agoI noticed my other three tires were reading "XXX"....so, I got out my trusty magnet and reprogrammed them...ofcourse the origianl bad one still didn't register, but the other three did....I figured, case closed, just need one sensor to be replaced....well, thenthe other dayi drove the vette again and all tires once again read "XXX"...so my question is this: is it likely that all three of the other sensors are going out at the same time? I don't get any warnings on the DIC, and when i go through the steps to reprogram each wheel with the magnet, they work, but after a day or two they read "XXX" again.....or, is it just because it's starting to get cold here and i only drive the car once or twice a week?....any thoughts? i'm about to get new tires, and not sure if i need to splurge and buy all four new sensors while the tires are off, or not......

Old 11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Default RE: Tires

I don't know much about the sensors but to me it seems like it's something bigger. Is there a main sensor or brainthat controls the tire sensors? If so I would check that out before replacing all the tire sensors.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:02 PM

The tire device does containa battery, but they are not serviceable according to my '03 service manual.. I don't know why a magnet resets them. good luck, cjs

Old 11-02-2007, 03:06 PM

well i kind of doubt that the whole system is fried, because it works, just keeps losing the signal after it has sat for a few days...i drive 70 miles to work every day and dont want to put that kind of mileage on the car - its more of a toy than a daily driver.....i'll try to remember to read the codes this weekend and see if there is anything in the computer which is related to the sensors.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 PM

I will face the new-tire-old-sensor dilemma soon myself.....There is a guy who advertises used sensors regularly on ebay. He writes that he can "service" your old sensors and replace the battery for $15 each. I see the comment in another reply that the battery is not serviceable, but this guy sounds like he knows what he's doing.
Good luck; keep us posted.