Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Z06 Looks...

Old 11-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Default Z06 Looks...

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone out there had put all the grills and everything from the Z06 on their Targa or Convertible(I'm going to be buying a Corvette here soon if I can just find a good deal on eBay). I'm absolutely in love with the Z06 looks, you know, the fog light grills, front brake duct grills, the Rocker Panel grills, the rear bumper grills, but I really want that Targa top. The idea of flying down the back-roads with the top off is so appealing. I was wanting to know if all that was a lot of trouble, easy but time consuming, or just plain easy. I want the functional brake ducts, so I know that will require cutting my rockers and I was wondering if the instructions are fool proof, because I'm very worried about messing with that fiber glass. I'm pretty handy, but if you think my buddy at the body shop, who is very professional by the way, should do it, please tell me.

Thanks a mill,
Jonathan

Old 11-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Default RE: Z06 Looks...

This really isn’t an answer to your question but… have you driven the Z06 vs the convertible? I’m assuming that you mean a C5 (since you posted in the C5 forum). I wanted an open top too but then I drove the Z06. It was an easy choice for me after that.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:24 AM

Yeah, I understand that, I know the difference 50 HP can make, but also price, I ain't got all the money in the world, and I can find a good 2000 Targa for around $20K(I already let one slip through my fingers, so I'm just being patient for the next good deal). But I can make the extra 50 HP with just a few bolt-ons, and still have my open top. That's just me though, but thanks for your info anyway.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:19 PM

If it's the Z06 look you really like than I would say, make the choice and go for that. The extra 50 Hp with a few bolt ons isn't as easy, nor inexpensive as you think. Adding all the Z06 markings is not going to be cheap either. Then the brake ducts still have to be installed. You will be putting allot of time and money into a car that already has this. Save up a little more, and get what you really want, you'll be happy in the end.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:04 PM

I've seen several cars where the owners has converted them with all the items you mentioned. I know Ecklers sells the stuff including two types of rear wheel rocker panel scoops, real ones (a kit to actually install a working scoop, as in the a real ZO6) and fake, stick on ones. the stuff looks okay but it seems a lot of trouble to go to to add, what to me, seems like little difference in look.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Navy Flyboy

Yeah, I understand that, I know the difference 50 HP can make, but also price, I ain't got all the money in the world, and I can find a good 2000 Targa for around $20K(I already let one slip through my fingers, so I'm just being patient for the next good deal). But I can make the extra 50 HP with just a few bolt-ons, and still have my open top. That's just me though, but thanks for your info anyway.
My targa C5 vette has the Z06 look, and alittle more power than the C5 Z06. I happened to like the look of the targa over frc but thats just my taste I guess. With the Z06 I really liked the grills and the brake duct coolers which my car has those and the front Z06 grills on it. All the time I get I love your Z06 from people and I have to tell them its not a Z but thats ok I guess.