Mallet C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Default Mallet C5 Z06

Just wondering if anyone has heard of or had experiences with the "Mallet"Corvette. I guess it is a company out of Berea,Ohio that modifies late model cars mostly GM. I ran into a guy who had a 2001 ZO6 that he had them work on and he claims his supercharged 427 laid down 700 Rwhp. After reading several posts on here about the supercharged cars I'm wondering if those kind of numbers are possible out of that engine. The car looked and sounded wonderful it was lowered 1-2", black wheels, cowl hood, HUGE tires, partial roll bar, etc. Like other SC vette owners have said, he claimed the car was impossible to drive hard on the street without fighting the massive power. He also claimed he got it to run high tens in the quarter (when he could hook up:-) Not sure what all he had done inside the engine but from the sounds of it, it was pretty healthy! Loves it better than his 2005 Viper which is also modded. Just wondering if anyone has heard of or seen any other Mallets out there???

Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Default RE: Mallet C5 Z06

Hell Mallet shoved a 650 hp ls2 in saturn skyes and pontiac solstices... dont know y cant get about the same hp from a vette...

-me

Old 10-12-2006, 09:28 PM

They are a well known tuner and have some name recognition nationally -- in some comparison tests in CAr and Driver, etc., including, if I remember right, decorating one outrageious vette with muddy green paint and scales and spikes like it was a predatory dinosaur. Their 427 is a C5R like mine, (every tuner's is) with premium aftermarket internals. I do not know how legit their HP claims are -- no offense to anyone but many tuners are a bit optimistic about HP claims. I trust Lingenfelter's but no one elses. Still, no doubt the Mallets are fast.

It is possible to get 700 RWHP out of a 427, even 900 RWHP if you pay enough money (Lingenfelter has a package for about $100K that will really do that much). Before the SC on mine was removed for a rebuild it was doing 630 RWHp and not working terribly hard at it -- while having perfect driveability -- just like stock. I'll have around 700 RW when its back on.

Still, 700 RW should do better than "high tens in the quarter . . . when he can hook up." With right around a real 630 RWHP mine was doing very low tens, on drag radials. Some MTI vettes with SC'd 427s are doing high 9s, and they are streetable although not a daily driver type streetable -- a little too brutal, etc. Lingenfelter's top end vettes do 9s too, while still being very streetable -- enough you could drive them every day. But then $100K for the mods should get you that.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the info. That was the first and only one I've seen like that. It was a very nicely done car and had to have cost some serious $$$$$. As far as the time in the quarter goes... who knows what kind of driver the guy is??? I also figured it could run better than that. The guy was selling it too. Too bad I didn't have the spare change laying around