Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

2012 ZR1 drive tunnel heat and toxic fumes

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Default 2012 ZR1 drive tunnel heat and toxic fumes

Help -

I recently purchased a new 2012 Corvette ZR1 Centennial Edition. I am still breaking in car and have not driven hard or raced. While driving at highway speeds (not in mountains) over 20 minutes in duration and not in traffic, I am getting lots of heat from the drive train near shifter as well as high heat in center console. Cannot put any electrical devices (iphone or ipod) in center console as they overheat and shut down. Also I cannot recycle air in cabin area as I am getting toxic glue or melting rug fumes as the heat level increases over time. I have to put the window(s) down or use air conditioner to pull fresh air from outside to keep from getting a headache or nauseous from the fumes. I would have thought that I would be smelling new leather when I get in and drive my new ZR1 - not fumes from an apparent carpet over heating.

In addition, the rug behind seats does not lay flat and appears to be bubbling up two to three inches high in several places. Not clear if this is related to exhaust heat coming up through the storage area floor panel or poor installation at factory.

Have other owners experienced similar issues? Is there a design or manufacturing issue from factory related to these issues? Were they addressed under warranty? I am new to this forum so if issues have been previously addressed please point me to associated link(s) where I can research accordingly.

Disappointed that a new 2012 GM car selling at $128K plus has these issues since the C6 ZR1 model has been in production for over four years.