Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

BANG from tranny/clutch HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Default BANG from tranny/clutch HELP!!!!!

was 1.5 hrs into a 1.75hr trip on the interstate in 5th gear at 75MPH with my 2005 C6 6 speed w/ 29kmi. when all of the sudden I head a slam and grinding come from the tranny. I push in the clutch (which only had 1-2" of pedal) and pulled her into neutral. The grinding kept going. So I pull over. look under the car for fluid or anything obvious and see nothing. get back in the car cycle the tranny and it seems fine. So I fire it up and see what it'll do. the clutch felt weak and best and I did smell the clutch burning when I first pulled over. I nurse her at 50 mph for about 5 miles and it does it again. Pull over, etc. Nurse her another 5 miles to where I had to be. It shifted fine this time, but the clutch was def. F'd and the pedal was almost to the floor. Car currently sits at a buddies house, trying to figure out the game plan. Any ideas what went?

Sound like a new clutch. car is stock w/ 29kmi and recalls or bulletins on this? If not, should I replace with factory or aftermarket? if aftermarket, what?

thanks.