Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Exhaust sytems

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:22 AM
Default Exhaust sytems

Hello,
I have a 2005 C6 and I want to replace the factory exhaust. Does anybody have a good suggestion as to which system to use? Thanks

Bob

Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Default RE: Exhaust sytems

Just about everyone will have a suggestion. Most will suggest the system they have installed.

My advice:

Stick with a known manufacturer (Borla, Corsa) or a shop with a proven reputation if you are buying the headers through the shop installing them.

With respect to cat back systems: First, do not expect alot of power increase. Most claim some power increase and a few of the louder ones with bigger pipes, fewer bends, and "mufflers" in name only actually deliver a noticeable gain, but most produce only a modest gain (e.g., so small you really can't tell day to day). All offer a different sound and the sound varies a great deal among cat backs you can buy. I would try to actually hear the system you want. To some extent you can depend on the manufacturer (Borla, Corsa) to describe the stype of sound you will get from their different models, but not really --hearing is best. Resonance (loud droning sound that is constant at around 2000 RPM) at cruising speed is bad with some set ups (the factory goes to great lengths to eliminate most of it in their design) so ask about that.

Long tube headers are the single best performance investment you can make. a set of LT headers will add lots of mid range torque and a good deal of top end power. Everyone will have their opinion, but the fact is that any good set of headers will do about what any other good set will in terms of power. What you want to pay for is a good fit: correct manufacture to tight tolerances so the thing fits well and doesn't bang around against other stuff it should not be.

Oh, and if you have an essentially stock engine and plan only light mods, stick with headers that are 1 3/4 inch pipes. The wider 1 7/8 inch pipes headers will work well but not add as mucyh mid range torque, and will make no appreciable different in top end power unless the engine is heavily modified.

If you add headers you really should hae a shop tune the car with LS1edit or a similar system.

If you have limited money and want power, go with headers and leave the stock cat back - you get more HP for the buck.
If you have limited money and want show, not go, go with a good cat back with a rich sound and chromed tips and it makes the car great for cruising.