Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

IA Products removable license plate frame damaged my fascia

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Default IA Products removable license plate frame damaged my fascia

This is a warning to all C6 owners who have or are considering purchasing a “removable” front license plate frame for their C6. I purchased one of these from an online vendor for ~$150. It seemed like a nice enough piece and I like the idea of a removeable bracket that had a permanent base that mounts behind the grille and a detachable plate that I can remove when detailing and car shows. I installed the assembly per the manufacturers instructions and everything seemed fine. I even took pictures of the install to compare to the ones on the vendors website to ensure that I had it installed correctly, in particular the shot from behind the grill facing forward to ensure that the spring pins were fully mated.

Well, exactly one week after installation the bracket dislodged on the Long Island Expressway and fell off at 70 mph. In addition to scaring the stuff out me, it seriously messed up my front fascia before becoming pinned between the front air dam and the ground before I came to a stop on the shoulder. Holy crap!

I took a bunch of pictures, emailed the vendor with my sad story and the pics to prove how his product failed and messed up my car. I returned the product along with an estimate for $1000 to repair my car. While the vendor returned my money, I haven’t heard anything at all from the manufacturer. Many many emails and letters and nothing. $1000 isn’t enough to get a lawyers attention, but luckily I have my 1st Amendment and the Better Business Bureau.

So this is a warning to all C6 owners that truly love their cars. If a product looks like it was made in somebody’s basement, it probably was. And don’t expect them to stand behind their product when their POC malfunctions and messes up your prized ride.

If anybody has any ideas on how to get these bozos to stand up for their product, other than bricks and molotov cocktails, feel free to PM me. If I figure out how to post pictures, I’ll show you the install shot and the damaged fascia shot.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4067/B15F7D0389AC432183A638BD6AE228D1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4067/1D87621F9E334E27918D2081021D8101.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Default RE: IA Products removable license plate frame damaged my fascia

Wow, that is sick. My dealer installed mine so if anything happens, they are on the hook for it and the repairs.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:29 AM

Wow, I didn't expect the damage to be that bad, but I was wrong. Sorry to hear about this happening. I hope everything works out for you and they finally agree to stand behind their product.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:46 PM

Man that sucks
Sorry to hear about that.I would keep the pressure on them, and there is always small claims court, you don't need a lawyer for that, you represent yourself.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:37 PM

Has anybody else had a problem where they had to try and get a manufacturer to stand up for a faulty product?

Old 12-22-2006, 02:49 PM

I had one of those Roll-a-way tonnau covers before on my truck several years back and the darn thing flew off the bed while i was driving home on the freeway. Good thing, it was 4 in the morning, and didn't kill anyone. The company name slips my mind right now, but I had a hell of time with them. They said I didn't install it properly, which in reality two of the mounts had cracked, causing the thing to fly off. It did minor damage to the paint on the tailgate, but they refused to pay for the repairs or give me my money back. ONLY after several months, and than filing a small claims report on them did they settle with me.

Also had some problems with Perelli tires. All 4 tires were starting to peel away at the tread.... Their excuse was I was driving the cartoo hard, and it was my fault. The same dealer had several other complaints from other owners, same thing. Perelli ended up buying a new set of tires for several cars, and my new tires were not Perellis.
depending on the manufacturer, and their reputation I would say pure pressure changes some minds. don't settle for talking t and complaing to just one person though, work your way up the ladder until someone will listen.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:32 PM

The one I use is seemingly different than yours. My dealer installed it therefore if anything happens, I can go after them. It looks different (picture inserted). Butterfly nuts came with it for easy removal. The only reason why I got this was to avoid the $145 each time for not having the front license plate. Some will argue that it is the price of driving the car. I don't like to throw money away.

Please let us know how this unfolds. We all feel terrible for the damanges.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2988/24595E31D5E64F5F89451F1435E20231.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2988/846CB1948A564D9286F2A5AC479F6062.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 PM

Any progress?