Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Default steering noise

Hi recently purchased a 2006 Vette and have some mechanical issues which the dealer has corrected.....largest problem...my roof flew off. The new strange problem is a noise that seems to be coming from the front and rear axle area only when taking turns at very low speeds like in a parking lot...or backing out of a parking space....has any experienced similar noises?

Old 09-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Default RE: steering noise

WOW.. I CANT BELEVE THE PROBLEMS WITH THESE NEW VETTE'S HOW MUCH 60.000.00 DOLLARS.. I WOULD BE TAKING THAT BACK TO THE DEALER REAL FAST.... GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CAR.[][][][][][]

Old 09-08-2006, 10:03 PM

My car makes a noise like that so much so that a couple of different people riding in it have asked what it was. I've never driven a vette before purchasing my 06 so I'm not sure whats norm & what's not. Thanks for bringing it to my attention...it's going to the shop soon for vert top issues & I'll address the noise issue at the same time.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:27 AM

Man you guys are starting to make me not want to get a C6...I might just have to stick with my C5 for now...anyhow get that thing back to the dealer, and I hope everything works out for you.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:22 AM

I have the same "grindind/growling" noise. Did you find out what it is?

Old 09-23-2006, 11:17 AM

Has anyone taken their car to the dealer and asked what it is? If you can hear it, if passengers can hear it enough to comment on it, then I expect the dealer service writer can hear it. What do they say it is? (If they say they can't hear it when you can, tell the dealer manager they seem to be deaf to your concerns, too, and you'll consider this when you next buy a car).

I do not have that problem in my car (when stock or now) when driving slow. I do have a very hearable electric radiator fan noise that I can only hear at low speeds (it is an aftermarket fan and noisier than stock), and that is about it -- well I also have the "tinkle" that SCrs make at idle, as all Scr owner's do, but that will not affect a stock car.

I can think of several things it could be: slight dragging of the brake pads (nothing to worry about this is common, often exacerbated by turning at low speeds), or the adjustable shocks adjusting constantly at low speed (again, not worrisome, although I wonder what makes them do that), or the power steering rack leaking internally (big worry), or (from the rear) the constant velocity joints making a bit of noise (not sure if this is worrisome or not, but mine (still stock) make no noise and they have suffered repeatedly through 2x times the power going through them.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:25 AM

I've just started reading the forum, but there is another message area about read differential noise.

And the dealers should be aware of it, and there seems to be a new fluid available the should help.

GM limited-slip differential in years past (I'm talking many years ago, since I haven't owned a rear drive GM limited slip in years, or been reading online about them) almost always had 'noise' problems. Some were bad, with snap, pops, etc being heard. What 'used' to happen is the clutches became 'dried out' with insufficient fluid movement between the clutches. And they became noise.

Easy fix - for the 'old' ones - take the car into an empty parking lot and drive in slowly in a circle about 8 circles, then reverse in the opposite direction for about 8 circles. Or, drive in a figure 8 for about 8 times. This forces the clutches to slip and allows fluid to move into them, and the noise is magically gone!

As I said, no idea if the new ones react this way, but if mine start the noise, this is the first thing I will try, rather than let the monkeys at a Chevy dealer mess with it. Only if the noise continue would I give it to them.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:53 PM

Sure did spoke with my Chevy Svc manager today and he said he has seen this often. He knew just what i was talking about. They need to replace the fluid in the rear differential and it will quiet it righ up. The disturbing part is I just now reached 10K miles and this already needs to be replaced? I guess this is something I will have to add to my maintainence list. Vette goes in Monday to be serviced.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:20 PM

It seems you and I have the same car!! I just had the roof issue taken care of with a new top. As far as the noise at low speeds, I find that what I get is a "shuddering" through the steering during parking or maneuvering into or out of the garage. It definitely feels as though it is coming from the front wheels or the steering. I asked the dealer about it and he says that the width of the front tires dragging on the pavement is the problem. It sounds logical but I will address it again on the next oil change and post what I'm told.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:48 PM

My C5 does not do that in spite of being fitted with wider than stock tires in front (265s), but my Porsche does it noticeably on sharp, slow turns.

Quick Reply: steering noise