Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Stick or Automatic????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Default Stick or Automatic????

Hello everyone, I haven't bought my vette yet. I cant decide if i want a stick or automatic.. What do you guys think..

Old 04-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Default RE: Stick or Automatic????

Stick - Auto is for wimps

Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 PM

NOT EVEN CLOSE - if you are buying a race car (which a vette is) and you know how to drive a stick do your self a favor and buy the manual. Buying an auto vette is kind of like buying a non-HD big screen tv- yah they do the same thing but one is a whole lot more fun to use.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:55 PM

Drive both.I have the six speed manual in my vette and its a lot of fun, but my Porsche has a Tiprtonic (Porsche's paddle-shift auto trans) and I love it -- great for a daily driver. In many ways an automatic can be faster than a manual (again, the new Porsche Turbo is faster with an auto than a stick) so don't let anyone tell you one is definately more manly or desireable than the other. It really depends on what you want. The manual is more involving and fun - you have control. The auto makes a better car in and around town, and with the paddle shifter still allows you control when you want it.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

Drive both.I have the six speed manual in my vette and its a lot of fun, but my Porsche has a Tiprtonic (Porsche's paddle-shift auto trans) and I love it -- great for a daily driver. In many ways an automatic can be faster than a manual (again, the new Porsche Turbo is faster with an auto than a stick) so don't let anyone tell you one is definately more manly or desireable than the other. It really depends on what you want. The manual is more involving and fun - you have control. The auto makes a better car in and around town, and with the paddle shifter still allows you control when you want it.
Yes but is the C6 like the C5? having the weaker rear end in the auto C5?

Old 04-04-2007, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

My buddy with a twin turbo lingenfelter c5 got an auto because he feels like when you get up into crazy hp it's faster to have an auto than stick; so good call Lee!

Old 04-05-2007, 12:56 AM

I've been fortunate enought to have owned both in C6convertibles. You definitely have greater control with the manual, but it can be a bear if you're in the wrong situation. Last week I spent1 hr 20 minutes covering about 8 mileson the Schuylkill Expressway - and saw mileage as low as1 mpg on the computer. By the time I got to the Turnpike I had a wicked cramp in my left thigh and calf.Once on the Turnpike I got up to speed, put on the cruise control at 70 mphand gave my legs a rest. Who needed a slushbox then?

Lee's point about an automatic being faster may wellbe true, as even a no-skill driver may wellbe able to beat a guy rowing through the gears (they're a bit heavy and clunky)- and there is no CAGS to screw up your gear changes in traffic. But that is an academic point in most situations. When you get to the twisty bits, the manual definitely gives the "feeling," or maybe itsonly the illusion,of greater control. The paddle shifts are there forthe auto, but it's sluggish on the downshifts and somehow it just doesn't feel naturaldownshifting an automatic for curves. You get pretty lazy with the auto and find yourself braking insteadfor the slow curves.

I traded the auto on the stick because I hated the auto and got clean away with it becausemy wife has many years of manual shifting under her belt, so she agreed. If you are married and your wifedoesn't like to shift, or can't, definitely get the auto. That tips the scales in many cases. But mostguys looking into your 'Vette willsneer when they see the auto shifter, even though they'll envy you. And if you're around to see them sneer, you'll feel inadequate and wait'til they're gone before you walk up to it and climb in. An auto? You might as well be driving a Camry, albeit the C6 auto is admittedly a little bit faster off the line.

But you pays your money... Either way, you'll enjoy the car if this is even an openquestion in your mind.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments. The truth is my husband wants the stick and i would rather have the auto. I can drive a stick pretty good, but i live in Cali where there is much traffic. I also have found it harder to find the color we want in a stick. I want him to be happy so we will probably have to order it... Makri , The wife comments are okay with me...lol I have hung around forums for awhile now and no one is real use to a girl being on here... Thanks guyz.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 AM

For me it is Stick all the way, just what I prefer to drive, but based on your situation with the crazy Cali traffic the auto may be the better choice for you (can't believe I just said that)...either way good luck with your purchase.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

I love a stick because it is just so much fun to drive but I certainly feel the same about an auto in traffic. the newer autos are quite responsive and can always have shift kits installed if you are more performance minded.

Quick Reply: Stick or Automatic????