Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:52 AM
Default Window Problem

i have been having problems with "DBS" AKA dead battery syndrome. i stored my vette in the garage in the begining of Dec. and i would start it once a week, then one day the car told me it could not detect FOB. then my doors would not open, so i had to use the manuel hatch open. needless to say my battery was dead. after i charged the battery and put a tender on it, it has been working fine until i noticed when i closed my doors the window would not secure its self back in the full up position. has anyone else had any of this happen to them???

Old 02-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Default RE: Window Problem

Just had my 06 in the shop for the same problem. Live in the Northwest and did not have the car out of the garage for about a month. When I went to start it I had exactly the same problems you had. Put it on the charger overnight and it started the next day. Took it in to the dealership this week. They had it overnight and said they did not see any discharge. They have excellent service staff and said they would let me know if any service info came from Chevrolet.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:42 AM

I don't think going to the dealer will fix it, although it can't hurt to have the car checked out, but this is a common problem with vettes that are not driven regularly -- they tend to drain the battery slowly, so that after a week or more without driving they won't start or will act up when started. I've never seen any Owner's Manual acknowledgement of this (but then I haven't looked at the C6 owners manual, only the C5s).

Every C5 owner I know had this problem. One actually died indirectly as a result (I promise I will post this bizarre story under "Other topics" in a minute). Most however, just get pissed. I had the problem myself.

Corvettes have LOTs of electronics, and they don't all shut down when the car is off: its not a lot of power required but its 24/7 and if the car sits for more than ten days - don't count on it starting. Maybe there are other reasons too, although I can't think of any.

Regardless, on my own car: I have a a spiral gel (lightweight) battery which has more Power (starting current) than stock but less energy storage that stock. By measurement the car uses about 5 watts when sitting and everything I can turn off turned off - a bit less than 500 mA current. With this battery in my car: 5-6 days without driving it and it will act strange on start up - error codes, some stuff doesn't work, etc. 8-9 days or more and it won't start, period. With a normal battery it would be 7-9 and 10-15 for those same effects.

Since I drive it at most once a week and winter was coming, a while back I installed a battery trickle charger, as I have, to fixthe problem. I posted something with that title, and pictures, under General Tech about a month ago. Here is a link directly to it.

https://www.corvetteforums.com/Batte.../m_3773/tm.htm

By the way, this is also a problem with Porsches: my Carrera's owners manual does acknowledge this and Porsche even sells a trickle charger of its own to "fix" the problem. Since I drive the Prosche nearly every day, that is not a problem with it, however.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:49 PM

Hey Lee, my father's Carrera 4S does the same thing. He's one of those guys that just gets pissed at the car when the battery dies. I told him my corvette does this and I also told him he should either drive the car more or start it every week. Very stubborn man. His reply was "I just think these expensive toys should work properly". I'll show him all the posts here to demonstrate that expensive toys don't always work properly.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:04 PM

I posted re: dead battery further down, think we left the car in gear (it's an auto) got back hrs later...it was dead, said no FOB detected, couldn't get out of the car had to use manual latch, windows went down each time we tried to get em up, thought we'd have to leave the car & come back for it, concerned we couldn't secure it. Finally got hold of friend also at race via cell who tracked down jumper cables & it started right up. Still not sure what caused problem, it's daily to every other day driven & had just been driven to Daytona. One lesson learned...always have a flashlight & now maybe jumper cables!

Old 03-10-2006, 02:19 AM

You have to wait for the computers to reset themselves. Sometimes this can take days after you recharge the battery.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:09 PM

They do not re-set themselves automatically. If you leave the battery disconnected for quite a while some of the adpative tables may fade and the computer reinitializes them on startup. But those make little difference in day to day driving, you won't feel the difference. if you suspect you have ECM problems, take the car to someone who can check the programming out and have it reprogrammed if necessary.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:41 PM

When you lose power to the car your windows have to be reprogrammed. Its a quick fix and you can find it on page 2-18 in the owners manual of your car. Look on the right side of the page under POWER WINDOW INITIALIZE. If for some reason you don't have the owners manal let me know. This will fix your indexing glass.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:17 AM

You know, there are times when I really think this electronic BS has gone too far: computers should make things midnless, not more complicated. Too many *****, etc. To many options, etc. I am close to rebelling against this nonsense.

That is one thing I do like about my Porsche, the controls are simple and it does not forget over lonog periods of time. But it is not perfect: I was looking at the programming of the suspension on the Porsche Carrera (really, you can program it! five levels, response times, rebound respoinses, how it shifts from one level to another, and of course if the battery goes dead it reverts to the stock factory setting again) and just decided to leave it like the factory set it. UGH

Old 06-05-2006, 09:58 PM

here we go regarding the dreaded dbs. a c6 normal draw is appr anywhere from 17 to 44 ma,
when the fobs are detected and a hatch door etc is operated the draw becomes appr 1650 ma
draw and the body control module does not sleep until appr 20-45 minutes after the last door hatch etc is shut. so lets say on a 600cca battery with a 80 percent state of charge and keeping the doors hatch open to clean the car and than just starting it without driving to pull into the garage etc, will allow in theory the battery to remain a start condition for appr 1 week

Quick Reply: Window Problem