Move To The Dark Side?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Default Move To The Dark Side?

Hello all. First post on this forum and I'm looking for a bit of advice and insight from those who may have been in a similiar situation. My current "toy" is an '88 930 black/black. I am the third owner from new and the car has 25k original miles. I have every receipt and service record from day one. The car is bone stock...no mods whatsoever and absolutely pristine.
For the first time since I purchased the car five years ago, I am thinking about making a move to something different and that something is the Z06.
While I love the Porsche, because of its' age and condition, it has become a true garage queen. I am afraid to take it anywhere. Additionally, the jarring ride, 80's vintage Porsche air conditioning and lousy stock cassette stereo have become a bit out dated. At the same time I love the respect that must be paid to the car when driven hard. Although not in the same galaxy speed wise as the Z06, back in '88 the 930was a real animal that demanded respect. When driven hard, it still does and I enjoy the challenge. I just believe I'd rather get something that I can use on a less limited basis. Something I can actually drive to work in the summer months while being somewhat comfortableand then use on the weekends at the track when the need hits. I'm finding the 930 very limiting and a bit too old fashioned (no ABS).
I was considering selling the 930 and getting the new GT3 but I just can't justify spending the extra $30k on the Porsche.The Porsche may have better build quality and a better interior than the Vette but the price gap is significant and one simply cannot ignore the Z06 performance. I don't need the ego boost of telling people I drive a Porsche...if the Vette guys are the "gold chain set" the Porsche guys are just as bad with their stuck up attitudes IMHO.
Then another part of me is wondering if I should hold on to the 930 outright. The value of the '65-'73 911's has absolutely skyrocketed over the past several years and I don't want to sell a car that MIGHT potentially have a large rise in value in the near future. There simply aren't that many pristine stock 930's out there and they're only original once.
I apologize for the long post but I'm hoping some of you have been in a similiar situation yourselves. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Default RE: Move To The Dark Side?

I love 'vettes and Porsches. I can understand the appeal of the ZO6, also concerns about the image each car projects (and there is nothing you can do, people do judge a book by its cover and a driver by the car he/she chose.).

First I'd hold on the the 930. It is may be the most desireable of Porsches made anytime in the last three decades, it is increasing in value, and you have a rare jewel of one.

The GT3 is $30K more than a ZO6 in first cost but Porsches retain value a bit better in general and you'll get some of that back when and if you sell/trade. On the other hand, maintenance is probably a good deal more. I'd suggest looking at a "total ownership" comparison over, say, a period of five or six years to see just what the margin is.

That said, there is something to be said for the ZO6's overwhelming performance, and as I've said on this forum before, remember it isn't that overwhelming: ZO6s and GT2s can get embarrassed by all manner of modified cars cruising around any weekend eveing. One thing to consider is buying a standard 435 HP '08 vette and having money modding it up to about 600 HP. You could definately keep you 930 then, and have all the fun (and more if, like most car guys, you love playing with the mods).

Finally, think about how long what you decide to buy will last,the ZO6will definately not be "king of the street" five years after your purchase it, whereas the GT3 will still be a very well built car with that very precise feel that only Porsche seems to get so fine tuned.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the insight Lee. You make several valid points and I can tell by your rides that you speak from experience. You have given me food for thought. I know it's more than a cut and dry decision.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:29 AM

One thing to consider is buying a standard 435 HP '08 vette and having money modding it up to about 600 HP.
Thats my plan. ~550hp

Old 07-24-2007, 06:30 AM

Its quite simple to boost the LS3 up to 550 HP equivalent (about 485 RWHP/485 RWT versus I'm going to guess about 385-390 range for both from the factory). There are several ways to go but a supercharger with only light boost and headers will do it nicely. In fact it might overdo it. One consideration is how stout the bottom end will be: LS6s and LS2s can only go to about 485 RWT before they have serious durability issues. I would expect the LS3 bottom end and pistons to be about the same -- GM getting any durability it needs with the added 35 Hp over the LS2 through programming of transient performance, etc. in the ECM (its cheaper than going to more expensive internal components).

Old 08-01-2007, 06:57 AM

how many miles did you put on the por.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:08 AM

i have an 88 930. youd be a fool to get rid of it. they are going up up up in price (the good ones). im pushing 450hp @2900lb in mine and it will run with anything. the Z06 is as good as bang;/buck as you can get and its def a daily driver kind of car, but the 930 is going to be a classic like the Miura or 512BB in another 15yrs and the Vette will never have that kind of cache' or long-term appreciation potential. The 930 was the baddest **** you could buy in 1988 and has the silhouette that started it all for Porsches high end escapades in later iterations.

Id try to keep it and get the Z06. If not, Id keep it and look used for a daily such as a E46 M3 or NS-X. Youll save 1/2 and not give up much reliability. Each car has their good/bad points. GT-3 is maybe the best Porsche ever built right now, but it would probably get old as a daily driver after 6 months. Its set up heavily biased toward track time, where a nice Carrera C4S would be a far better choice. At that price, id be seriously looking at a Cayman S however and save money.

Long winded, but dont dump the 930 if its as good as you say you will. I had a buddy sell a 1961 356 coupe in 1967 for $1800. I remind him about that every day.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:30 AM

Yeah I would say to keep the 930 as well and consider a Z51 C6. Especially if the 930 is a slant nose. IMO the 930 is the definitive Porsche of the 1980s. The time isn't right yet but I think now we're hitting the point where we're past the Muscle Car era and growing some nostalgia for the late 70s and early 80s -- the Smokey and the Bandit screaming chicken Trans Ams are actually becoming cool again, who ever thought? I'd say in another 10-15 years the 80s nostalgia will be in full swing and that 930 will be a gem.

I love Corvettes but it's hard to think of one that will age that well. I mean, look at something contemporary to the 930 like the C4 ZR-1, enthusiasts love it but will it really be an icon the way a 930 will be? Yeah amongst Corvette enthusiasts but not to the same degree certainly not like the iconic Porsches.

I have an 86 951 and it was definitely the bang-for-the-buck Porsche of its day and could go toe to toe with the 911 Turbos, but I have no expectations of it going back up in value any time soon. These cars bottomed out and may only slowly go up as more of them hit the junkyards. Lots of them sufferred neglect so I think eventually the numbers will diminish and nostalgia will build for the 928/944/968 but even then not a slam dunk like the 911.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: OVRSTR

Hello all. First post on this forum and I'm looking for a bit of advice and insight from those who may have been in a similiar situation. My current "toy" is an '88 930 black/black. I am the third owner from new and the car has 25k original miles. I have every receipt and service record from day one. The car is bone stock...no mods whatsoever and absolutely pristine.
For the first time since I purchased the car five years ago, I am thinking about making a move to something different and that something is the Z06.
While I love the Porsche, because of its' age and condition, it has become a true garage queen. I am afraid to take it anywhere. Additionally, the jarring ride, 80's vintage Porsche air conditioning and lousy stock cassette stereo have become a bit out dated. At the same time I love the respect that must be paid to the car when driven hard. Although not in the same galaxy speed wise as the Z06, back in '88 the 930was a real animal that demanded respect. When driven hard, it still does and I enjoy the challenge. I just believe I'd rather get something that I can use on a less limited basis. Something I can actually drive to work in the summer months while being somewhat comfortableand then use on the weekends at the track when the need hits. I'm finding the 930 very limiting and a bit too old fashioned (no ABS).
I was considering selling the 930 and getting the new GT3 but I just can't justify spending the extra $30k on the Porsche.The Porsche may have better build quality and a better interior than the Vette but the price gap is significant and one simply cannot ignore the Z06 performance. I don't need the ego boost of telling people I drive a Porsche...if the Vette guys are the "gold chain set" the Porsche guys are just as bad with their stuck up attitudes IMHO.
Then another part of me is wondering if I should hold on to the 930 outright. The value of the '65-'73 911's has absolutely skyrocketed over the past several years and I don't want to sell a car that MIGHT potentially have a large rise in value in the near future. There simply aren't that many pristine stock 930's out there and they're only original once.
I apologize for the long post but I'm hoping some of you have been in a similiar situation yourselves. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Wow, this coming from a guy with two posts

Sell the porsche, you'll need the extra cash to pay for the gold chains

Old 12-27-2007, 05:02 PM

i lost track of his question.drop back and punt

Quick Reply: Move To The Dark Side?