What bolt on mods will get me into the 10's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Default What bolt on mods will get me into the 10's?

Ok, Let me start by saying I have been drag racing for years and have had 11 f bodies and now this is my 2nd Corvette. I have the 07 Orange Z06 and have already put a K&N cold air kit as well as a B&M ripper on the car. Last outing I went 11:82 at 119 with a lousy 1.94 60'.

Now I know I need to launch the car better and will be working on that.

I also know I need drag radials. I would love to find some for my stock wheels and if anyone knows where i can find some please let me know.

I have talked to LG and Lingenfelter about mods for the car but they want 20k+ and want to rip out the motor. I only have about 1600 miles on the car and think it would be a shame to pull the motor already. I also don't want to void the warrant just yet.

I am pretty certain I need a tune and Long tubes. But what can I do without opening the block to get the car to go 10's.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Default RE: What bolt on mods will get me into the 10's?

bone stock 11.9/123 07 z .drag radials can get ya there but thrownout until ya get rollbar

Old 05-21-2007, 04:54 PM

If you've owned 11 f-bodies and dragged raced for years, thenyou know very well how much HP it will take to get the car into the tens.The least expensive way to get there would be to add NOS: withlarger injectors and a 150+ dry kit, and good re-programming, and good rear tires, you'd get there. Remember that NOS has a slightly cooler/less impacting burn than normal air/gas and thus this method will provide the lowest stress on your stock (and marginal) lower end.
I'd install headers: a cheap way to get a bit more power.
Then, a supercharger would do the trick. Even with your high compression, you can run enough boost to put the car into the high tens, I'd think. Magnusen units won't do (they won't blow enough air for a 427 without overreving them): if you want a roots/screw type you'd have to go with a Kenny Bell unit (about $10K plus you have to find a really big-bulge hood.. I'd recommend a Procharger D1SC (one size up from the standard 'vette P model, or the Vortech equivalent, and would not recommend the F (another size up -- harder to fit).
As to drag radials. You can check around but I would think a set of 345s would fit in the wheel wells. I run 345x18 BFGs drag radials all the time -- street and track.
Do realize that Lingenfelter has a point in their recommendation: they like to rebuilt the lower end when they add that much power for durability. With either of these mods, you will be right at the limit of what you can expect to last reasonably long (if you don't abuse it), and you won't be able to push to the lowertens without a built bottom end.
I'd also ask Lingenfelter what they do to reinforce the rear end on C6s: they are3 a notorious weak spot on really powerful modded vettes, and an aggresive launch at 600RWHP can rip them apart.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Well from the research I have done on this car I have found that a supercharger will get me to about 600HP but will blow my clutch and possibly my rear end. It appears that I can only run 4-6lbs of boost with the compression and bottom end components stock.

My 67 Camaro went 10:18 at 129 but was a big tire car, weighted only 2200lbs and had 4:88 gears
My 99 TA went 13:00 with mild mods at 103 with 3:73's
My 06 C6 A6 Vert went 12:70 at 111 with just a veraram.

I ran a NOS 5177 dry kit on the TA and washed the pistons but did get the car to run considerably faster. I want to NOT void the warranty on the ZO6 so I am trying to stay away from NOS and or a supercharger.

I have heard and read stories of guys getting them to the high 10's with only long tubes, x pipe, stat, tune and DR's. As for DR's, my stock wheels are 19" and I am pretty sure that means that an 18" tire won't fit on them. If anyone knows of a 19" Drag radial please let me know.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: atomicfusion

I have heard and read stories of guys getting them to the high 10's with only long tubes, x pipe, stat, tune and DR's. If anyone knows of a 19" Drag radial please let me know.
First, there were no 19' drag radials when I completed my car about a year ago, plus -- you really want the sidewall for flex.

Second, I can't believe long tubes, x-pipe, state, and a tune will give you 10s on drag radials. Maybe with a change in rear end ratio and drag slicksand a really heroic launch you might get 10.95, but you are asking for nearly a second from mods that typically give half a second or less.

And you are right, NOS or SCr, the power to do 10s on drag radials will push the engine to the limit. But not over if you keep to the high tens.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 PM

Ok so I decided to do long tubes, LG is 2 weeks out on more, checking on Kooks now. Any preferences? Going with an offroad x pipe no cats, 160 stat, already have the K&N cold air kit and ripper. I will also have it profesionally dyno tuned at time of install. Hoping for 500 RWHP. I understand stock they are at about 440RWHP with the stock air filter. We will see what I get and what it will do. I am pushing for install early next week.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:17 PM

Looks like the Kooks were going to be 3 weeks out so LG it is... 2-3 weeks and then it goes in. Now I need to get some 18" rims and some DR's to see what I can do.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:10 PM

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...;highlight=Z06

Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 PM

thanks for that link... I have been dying to read that post.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:10 AM

That is an incredible run for a stock car and I have personally not seen a stock LS7 do nearly that well. The launch was superb and he must have shifted perfectly.

Quick Reply: What bolt on mods will get me into the 10's?